Is anybody else pre-ordering two copies of Tenderness Live In Los Angeles on the vinyls?

image.jpg

(Duff McKagen press photo courtesy of GettyImages.com)

Duff McKagen (of Guns N' Roses regrouping fame) is taking pre-orders for his live double LP. Personally, I plan to buy two. One to keep sealed, and another to listen to on repeat so that I can enjoy Duff in full analog, as he intended.

The arrangements of the live band harken back to the days of Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones. Given the changes in Axl's vocals as he has gotten older, perhaps the big band could mimic these arrangements. The arrangements provide a perfect back drop for the Guns' deep cuts included in Duff's live set like You Ain't The First, Dead Horse, and etc.

In a moment of playfulness, Duff trolls the fans by completely changing the lyrics to one of the songs as they try to sing along. It is a harmless but very punk move. Instead of letting them participate he makes them look stupid. He is in control. These are his songs, not yours. You are at church.

Most of the songs are in a key that is easy for most to sing along to. Tenderness Live is an album to be shared. Open your windows, sing along, do your best California Seattle Punk accent.

The title song Tenderness is a revolutionary ballad that can only come with age. While it has become in vogue for ageing male celebrities to supplement with testosterone replacement therapy, with Tenderness Duff says, "I'm going to embrace my naturally declining testosterone and use it to teach you a thing or two". A thing or two he teaches us. A piano ballad tinged with outlaw country sensibility, Tenderness is like the yin to November Rain's yang. While November Rain is about unrequited love, Tenderness is like a manual from an older more mature male about how to find that love. Had Duff released this manual to life 10 years earlier, perhaps Muammar Gaddafi would still be here.

To quote Duff:

"A little tenderness is what we need
Oh, tenderness can't you feel it spread around?"

3.25/4.00 stars

• Clown 1
  • Fat Axl 1
  • Cute 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Its lyrically and musically as shit as The General.

It should have been a B side of The General. Two woeful songs each side on a 7 inch vinyl.

I legitimately like the arrangements for Duff's live stuff and think that GNR should go back to doing something more like that. It would suit the limitations with Axl's vocals more and play to his strengths. 

Almost like the infamous Saskatchewan show. Just give Axl a couch to sit on. Let him come out and play CD, Absurd, and Jungle to get the boomers riled up. Then he can sit on a couch for an hour with Brasilian strippers eating pizza and singing songs in his natural voice with the derivative Rolling Stones roots rock acoustic/electric arrangements. Then they can segue into November Rain and Patience with the regular electric arrangements (both songs where he is already sitting, so that's to his advantage).

He would only have to stand for the big finale with Paradise City, where they could go electric again and he can do the Herbert voice. 

Tenderness is embarrassingly bad. It's meaningless pandering. 

I think Wasted Heart would have potential as a song for the chicks. Throw in a few Axl lines where he says ohhhh ohhh, or baby, and you've got yourself a ballad.

Duff is trying too hard to make up for decades of debauchery. He is very clearly afraid of getting cancelled for writing Cornshucker and having that "regrouping" money ripped away from him. There is no other explanation for these songs, other than tremendously low testosterone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I legitimately like his choice of GNR deep cuts to cover because similar to Duff, I'm not a strong vocalist, and in all my fantasies where I start a mid life crisis band, those same deep cuts are what I would put into my set as a nod to GNR. 

What I am trying to say is they I have an appointment on Tuesday to get my blood work done to see where my T levels are at. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, gunsntortillas said:

I legitimately like the arrangements for Duff's live stuff and think that GNR should go back to doing something more like that. It would suit the limitations with Axl's vocals more and play to his strengths. 

Almost like the infamous Saskatchewan show. Just give Axl a couch to sit on. Let him come out and play CD, Absurd, and Jungle to get the boomers riled up. Then he can sit on a couch for an hour with Brasilian strippers eating pizza and singing songs in his natural voice with the derivative Rolling Stones roots rock acoustic/electric arrangements. Then they can segue into November Rain and Patience with the regular electric arrangements (both songs where he is already sitting, so that's to his advantage).

He would only have to stand for the big finale with Paradise City, where they could go electric again and he can do the Herbert voice. 

Tenderness is embarrassingly bad. It's meaningless pandering. 

I think Wasted Heart would have potential as a song for the chicks. Throw in a few Axl lines where he says ohhhh ohhh, or baby, and you've got yourself a ballad.

Duff is trying too hard to make up for decades of debauchery. He is very clearly afraid of getting cancelled for writing Cornshucker and having that "regrouping" money ripped away from him. There is no other explanation for these songs, other than tremendously low testosterone.

I think Duff is incredibly scared of either being MeToo'd or cancelled.

The release of the woeful Tenderness material.

Him walking back the lyrics to Appetite in an interview a few years ago.

The one thing i will give him is adding deepcuts like DNB when he was doing that Shooter Jennings tour.

Rather than release drivel like this, hes punk enough to be the new lead vocalist for the new Sex Pistols tour.

With Duff the new lead singer surely that would be enough for  @Johnny Ramone buy a ticket if the new Sex Pistols tour comes his way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I think Duff is incredibly scared of either being MeToo'd or cancelled.

The release of the woeful Tenderness material.

Him walking back the lyrics to Appetite in an interview a few years ago.

The one thing i will give him is adding deepcuts like DNB when he was doing that Shooter Jennings tour.

Rather than release drivel like this, hes punk enough to be the new lead vocalist for the new Sex Pistols tour.

With Duff the new lead singer surely that would be enough for  @Johnny Ramone buy a ticket if the new Sex Pistols tour comes his way.

Fucking hell. Don’t you tempt fate like that!! There’s already the Neurotic Outsiders connection…  In a hellish part of my mind I can hear Duff singing Bodies in a shit English accent akin to Mustaine’s Anarchy vocal.

Praise be to Johnny Thunders that this will never happen!

Frank Carter fronting the Pistols I can stomach, if Jones, Cook & Matlock want to make a few quid without Lydon melting their brains on one last tour I wouldn’t begrudge them. I saw the Pistols in 96, 02, twice in 07 and twice in 08. Rottens voice just got more PIL like as the years went by. The band were still a powerhouse but 1996 was definitely the most Rotten like Lydon sounded on those reunion runs. 

• Like 2

Duff is a bit of a cartoon character, cartoon punk guy, cartoon rocker guy,  cartoon alcoholic guy, cartoon recovery guy, cartoon woke guy..  I’ve never attempted to listen to any of his solo stuff, there’s too much to cringe at right in front of my eyes without hearing him bitch out about his feelings. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Ramone said:

Duff is a bit of a cartoon character, cartoon punk guy, cartoon rocker guy,  cartoon alcoholic guy, cartoon recovery guy, cartoon woke guy..  I’ve never attempted to listen to any of his solo stuff, there’s too much to cringe at right in front of my eyes without hearing him bitch out about his feelings. 

Give it a listen. Duff is in top form. 

• Haha 3