Jump to content

Bad Apple Movie Theead


Recommended Posts

The Killer
The Killer is great, all reviews saying it was boring obviously didn't watch it. It's a philosophical action movie thriller. And saying it was nihilistic,  so what's the point? also completely wrong. It seems to be more a message of universal hope in the power of skepticism. It's funny how his code is so airtight but then he completely fucks everything up and spends entire movie fucking up. But by sticking to the plan kind of wins in the final analysis. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just released on torrents,

 

The Killer

 

Smash your phones on the ground. Eat your Macdonalds. Await your Amazon Prime deliveries.

 

I knew nothing about it beforehand and it took a different turn from where I thought it was going. I thought it originally was going in a The Day of the Jackal direction, elements of Coppola's The Conversation and Scorsese's Taxi Driver also, but then it turned into an Taken (of sorts), a retributive thinking-man's action thriller. I do think there is an element of 'having its cake and eating it'. He is supposedly cynical and cold and completely devoid of affiliation (like Edward Fox's Jackal) but then the whole film is him seeking revenge for his love interest. Which one will it be? It is a bit messy, the philosophy of the film. Happily though it can be enjoyed for the general ''smartness' as well as the visuals and action. 

 

4/5

 

PS

 

It was good at depicting the futuristic impersonal nature of foreign travel, airports etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Killer

 

Smash your phones on the ground. Eat your Macdonalds. Await your Amazon Prime deliveries.

 

I knew nothing about it beforehand and it took a different turn from where I thought it was going. I thought it originally was going in a The Day of the Jackal direction, elements of Coppola's The Conversation and Scorsese's Taxi Driver also, but then it turned into an Taken (of sorts), a retributive thinking-man's action thriller. I do think there is an element of 'having its cake and eating it'. He is supposedly cynical and cold and completely devoid of affiliation (like Edward Fox's Jackal) but then the whole film is him seeking revenge for his love interest. Which one will it be? It is a bit messy, the philosophy of the film. Happily though it can be enjoyed for the general ''smartness' as well as the visuals and action. 

 

4/5

 

PS

 

It was good at depicting the futuristic impersonal nature of foreign travel, airports etc.


It's all phones, passwords and chain  stores. A soulless killer for soulless times. 
 

I don't think it's revenge for his girlfriend, he's just trying to cover his ass or stop the hit on him. He's just following the code. Try to prove his philosophy is the truth. 
 

He meets the other assassin at the end to see if she is same as him. He's losing his nerve. He's not as cold blooded as he hopes. To be, or not be a killer. That is the question. 
 

He says upfront that he's skeptical not cynical.  He has a philosophy that kind of slowly falls to pieces. 
 

But at the beginning he says be one of few - those that truly don't give a fuck. That's the goal. But at the end of the movie, he says he's one of the many. Laying by his semi recovered girlfriend on a sun

lounger he says 
 

"The need to feel secure is a slippery slope. Fate is a placebo. The only life path is the one behind you."

 

He knows this is true, but says if you can't accept this maybe you are just one of the many. Like him. So he's joined the human race. That's the arc of the narrative. 
 

So maybe he was all I don't give a fuvk at first, but in fucking up and seeing his girlfriend etc and doubting himself killing Dolores the assistant of his Handler, he realizes he's just one of the many.

 

He doesn't kill The Client. One poster said maybe he had decided not to because he doesn't buy ammo.
 

To kill the digital age he should have executed the tech billionaire. So he chooses life in the digital soullessness. 
 

That fight with the guy with the dogs isn't sophisticated or planned. He has a plan but it goes to shit. It's basically Ferris Bueller. The way he re states his philosophy after the dog fight suggests it's not working. It's becoming comical. He repeats the mantra then gets his ass kicked. 
 

He might just be insane. It's a psychotic state of mind he's convincing himself of. 
 

A cold blooded killers journey to finding humanity. Kind of. Maybe it's more his struggle to get the job done. Not a change of heart. 
 

The bear sodomy story may be the answer. He's looking for answers, he's not a real killer. Stick to the plan is a mantra. Trust no one. This is what it takes. If you want to succeed. 
 

He drinks Ensure. Not sure it's actually healthy. Sugar, Canola oil? 
 

The Amazon product placement. We are all The Killer. Telling ourselves a story about ourselves. He eats an egg, which is a symbol of soul. He's on a journey to see if he has a soul or not. 
 
Movie ends and Morrissey sings

If a ten tonne truck...
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Monkey said:

He was never gonna kill him. Remember the scene when he bought the gun he says he doesn’t want ammo.

So he's decided before that. He kills The expert. So when does he decide not to kill the The Client. 
 

Maybe he doesn't use traceable ammo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MAGATRON said:

Is The Killer more taking revenge or performing a cleanup up on aisle seven? I thought it was more the latter.

  Hide contents

And did he let the guy who paid for the hit live because he respects the hierarchy of the few over the many? 

 

Maybe he made his point. Call off the hit. Maybe he believed him in that he didn't really order the hit. It was his handler that ordered the hit. 
 

But then why go to The Client? 
 

To get confirmation from the few. 
 

But then he checks out of the few club. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MAGATRON said:

That is what I thought his reason was for not getting the ammo from the gun guy. I think Monkey is probably right though. He never intended to kill the client because he considers the client to be one of the few. 

You just need to check in with him to clear up the misunderstanding. 
 

He's killed The Expert and his handler so no one else cares. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

SPOILER

 

It is weird how he callously murders the cab driver and secretary, the woman in glasses, yet lets the millionaire off. Class bias. Bumping off the working class guys and letting the Bezos and Musks off.

I think it's more of a struggle or journey, he's trying to follow his code. But in the end he's chooses Amazon delivery and the tech world. The Killer is big tech, he's not a true psychopath. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest The Monkey

I don’t think it’s that deep. He wants to be left alone in his villa. Killing The Client would only bring high profile attention and probably retaliation.

 

He went in with no ammo to see if The Client was guilty or not. The Client gets The Experts name wrong and comes off as a doofus. He doesn’t know the consequences of his actions and doesn’t even know why The Killer is there.

 

The Brute raped his girlfriend


 

I interpret the ending as The Killer saying he just wants to be domestic but the twitch indicates that that’s not really in his nature. If he’s not killing, he’s miserable. It’s what he does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest The Monkey
3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

SPOILER

 

It is weird how he callously murders the cab driver and secretary, the woman in glasses, yet lets the millionaire off. Class bias. Bumping off the working class guys and letting the Bezos and Musks off.

I interpret it as The Killer hating bullshit. The cab driver tries to smooth talk his way out of it and he immediately gets popped. He has mercy on Dolores because she has something he needs but also because she says “oh I guess I’m begging”. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Monkey said:

I interpret it as The Killer hating bullshit. The cab driver tries to smooth talk his way out of it and he immediately gets popped. He has mercy on Dolores because she has something he needs but also because she says “oh I guess I’m begging”. 

 

For me it was as simple as the taxi driver seeing him. Leave no traces. Movie very deliberate in showing driver looking at him in rear mirror, but he would have probably bumped him off irrespective as he'd led him to that secluded place. Same with woman although that was a touch more opportunistic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest The Monkey
Just now, DieselDaisy said:

 

For me it was as simple as the taxi driver seeing him. Leave no traces. Movie very deliberate in showing driver looking at him in rear mirror, but he would have probably bumped him off irrespective as he'd led him to that secluded place. Same with woman although that was a touch more opportunistic.

I just thought Fassbender played it like “oh please”. What’s interesting is he doesn’t kill the guy at the cab depot but makes it look like a robbery. I guess you could say it was dark and then he put on the balaclava. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I don’t think it’s that deep. He wants to be left alone in his villa. Killing The Client would only bring high profile attention and probably retaliation.

 

He went in with no ammo to see if The Client was guilty or not. The Client gets The Experts name wrong and comes off as a doofus. He doesn’t know the consequences of his actions and doesn’t even know why The Killer is there.

 

 

  Hide contents

The Brute raped his girlfriend


 

I interpret the ending as The Killer saying he just wants to be domestic but the twitch indicates that that’s not really in his nature. If he’s not killing, he’s miserable. It’s what he does.

I don't see evidence of that but it might be like what he says after killing everyone. Now he's normal. But he seems to change his mind, he now sees himself as one of the many.
 

Maybe it's just an ending. It would be boring if he just iced everyone without waive-ring. He seems to show no pleasure in killing. In fact that's his skill. But he kills Dolores nicely. He doesn't shoot her with a nail gun. The few have to die. But he has a Dexter like code. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...