Bad Apple Movie Theead

13 minutes ago, Monkey said:

His later movies aren't bad but this one and some of them are just lazy. It's kind of a "you had to be there" in the 90s before the internet sort of thing.

I've seen 12 Monkeys but it was a long time ago

There's so many movies, but sometimes I think they are all bad. 

I was considering War Machine but it's Brad Pitt. The whole entire movie. 

Guest The Monkey
16 minutes ago, wasted said:

There's so many movies, but sometimes I think they are all bad.

Now that I'm old and cynical, I agree most of the time.

I just want a fun action movie nowadays.

2 hours ago, Monkey said:

Now that I'm old and cynical, I agree most of the time.

I just want a fun action movie nowadays.

Crime/Thriller/Action. Maybe not even action comedy because some of them are too dumb. Tuxedo is on Netflix but I need order KFC to watch it. 

13 hours ago, wasted said:

I would like to watch Kalifornia again. 

Used to watch this a lot in the 90s. Awesome film. One of Pitt's all time best performances.

It has the vibe of one of those HBO/Cinemax After Dark movies but the cast really elevates the material.

13 hours ago, wasted said:

12 Monkeys

Another classic.

Pitt was on a roll in the 90s. Looked like a really interesting career taking shape. Like many in his position, he just started playing himself for 20-30 million bucks a pop.

7 hours ago, MAGATRON said:

Watched Oppenheimer for the first time. Wasn’t feeling it.

I really need to watch this.

9 hours ago, MAGATRON said:

Watched Oppenheimer for the first time. Wasn’t feeling it. Nolan’s movies don’t work for me. There’s no subtlety. The music was ratcheted up from the very beginning which served to diminish the effect when something exciting was actually happening. 

My problem with most Nolan movies is I can't understand what is going on and the production values seem to smother everything.

But this was pretty clear, they were on a mission to build the bomb and then they did it and then it was like JFK.

It wasn't exciting, it was more ominous and then the Los Alamos section had this crazy wild west vibe. Then there was all the court cases and existential dread.

I was totally drawn into it and the characters seemed real to me. Later I've realized you can get most of it from a youtube documentary, so I'm not sure the effects or horror scenes added much.

It was Damon's General that I enjoyed. It's kind of a black comedy really. Like on the day on the drop there's full on storm. Also Downey Jr as Strauss added a whole other dimension to it. 

It did a good job convincing me Oppenheimer gave a shit, but really someone was going to do it, it wasn't all on him. Truman comes in and shows you the real darkness.

For once Nolan's production values didn't mess up the movie completely. To me it's like JFK, it's kind of boring but maps out the main elements involved in this crazy event in history. 

It has to be his best movie. The Killer is the best, then Oppenheimer and Flower Moon is close. I was blown away by Oppenheimer at the time, but Flower Moon has something you want to watch again. 

Guest The Monkey

The Driver

This is one of the coolest movie posters of all time.

Like I said before Isabelle Adjani is one of the hottest women of all time.

It was weird seeing a young Bruce Dern.

That puss Edgar Wright could never.

God film look so much better than digital.

@sixes schmixes

The Old Guard (2020)

Charlize Theron, might a little you know but still. This is some weird superhero power Middle east war movie. Not so good so far. They keep dying and coming back to life. I bailed, it's bad. 

The Lincoln Lawyer (2011)

This is more like it. I've read some Connelly books, McC is a lawyer. It's like GTA. McC has a mullet and he's talking shit to a biker gang. We are back. 

"If you lookin' for me I hustlin' in my region"

Guest The Monkey
1 hour ago, wasted said:

The Old Guard (2020)

Charlize Theron, might a little you know but still. This is some weird superhero power Middle east war movie. Not so good so far. They keep dying and coming back to life. 

I saw her in Atomic Blonde and had enough of female action movies

X-Files film of 1998.

It isn't a great film by any means and it demonstrates how messy the mythology-arc was by this point (film released between S5 and S6 incidentally), but it is probably better than it should have been. 'Drivel' if you are not an avid follower of show, but if you have been following the X-Files mythology arc it is basically a big budget episode of that (i.e., when it was already tanking). Mythology was at its best S1-2 (S3 at a push) in my opinion. Some genuinely great episodes like the one where Scully has a dead baby alien in a jar. I blame the decline on the black ooze!

Returning to film, its story rather lapses into King Kong 'damsel in distress', Mulder rescuing Scully, action. Some lazy writing but visually it is good and conjures up some disgusting/horrifying moments. Mixed bag then. A 3/5.

I think I will watch S6 then leave it there. S6 is the last genuinely good season before Mulder is replaced by the T-1000 and even Scully eventually fucks off at some point. And (if my memory is correct) the mythology sunk to a Lost/Walking Dead style ''pulling stuff out of their arse'' plot twisting.

PS

John Locke from Lost turns up as a SWAT team bomb removal fella which is interesting as he had also been in a S2 episode of the X-Files and would later be in a S9 episode. See pictures below,

Spoiler

S2 episode/film/S9 episode,

image.png.93bdefae55b861fa69f5c608a451c89a.png

image.png.97f1286fb578c1c910c03f7aa8ae17f9.png

image.png.59979150f261fc8d10baf9a4646c66e9.png

You'd think Mulder and Scully would be, ''jee, that guy looks a lot like that guy who also looked like that guy?''. Maybe that is the overriding X-File, how the same guy keeps popping up in high law enforcement occupations?

Guest The Monkey

Southland Tales

Joyless, boring, self-serious, and overacted, like the worst impulses of the Grand Theft Auto franchise rolled into one 2.5 hour movie.

Guest The Monkey

The American

This was really impressive, like a classier, slow-burn Jason Bourne movie played by a real-life James Bond. The cinematography was really well done.

10 minutes ago, The Monkey said:

The American

This was really impressive, like a classier, slow-burn Jason Bourne movie played by a real-life James Bond. The cinematography was really well done.

I've seen that a while ago.

The Angel on was pretty good too. It's the ultimate double agent movie. 

Clooney was in Syriana which is slow but I've seen so many times. It's not very exciting, it's like a more serious Body of Lies which is basically a comedy. 

I want to watch Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. 

Guest The Monkey
12 minutes ago, wasted said:

Clooney was in Syriana which is slow but I've seen so many times. It's not very exciting, it's like a more serious Body of Lies which is basically a comedy. 

I like that one a lot.

12 minutes ago, wasted said:

I want to watch Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. 

I saw this back in the day and it was way too British. I probably wouldn't like it so I'll avoid a rewatch.

3 hours ago, The Monkey said:

I like that one a lot.

I saw this back in the day and it was way too British. I probably wouldn't like it so I'll avoid a rewatch.

That's why I haven't watched it. It's not as glamorous as American thrillers. I need a week of British Realism training to accept Michael Caine is cool. 

There's the Italian Job and Get Carter, I've seen the American remakes with Rocky. 

Nicholas Roeg is more digestible, it has some European element, not just British bacon and eggs, cuppa tea. That one I watched other day was ok though. 

Layer Cake was alright. Guy Ritchie type movies are less stuffy. 

4 hours ago, wasted said:

Napoleon is Ridley Scott. Might make the effort to see it. It has some bad reviews but it might ok. 

It is terrible by all accounts, both as a film and something historical. I will see it sometime next week but I'm only going just because I am a bit of a nerd on this stuff, and how often is there a big budget film on Napoleon? 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is terrible by all accounts, both as a film and something historical. I will see it sometime next week but I'm only going just because I am a bit of a nerd on this stuff, and how often is there a big budget film on Napoleon? 

I read it's not historically accurate and they have American accents. 

Yeah I just like going to movies. It's hard to decide. It's only $10. That's like 4 Big Mac meals. 

If I go in expecting a comedy it might be fun. 

7 minutes ago, The Monkey said:

I really liked that movie. Mostly holds up

I saw it on dvd before and didn't think much of it but this time I thought it was good. I think China bootlegs might cut out scenes based on violence or sex. So you see half a movie. The version I saw cut out the weed farm part.