Jump to content

Eternal General Thread - 01/24 UPDATE - GROUNDBREAKING AI MUSIC VIDEO RELEASED


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

 

I saw Patience at 5 of the 6 shows.

 

Don't Cry at 4 of my 6 shows.

 

But the twelve listed above at EVERY show.

 

No way CD or Rocket Queen, or even It's So Easy/Brownstone/Nightrain were bigger hits with the general public than Patience and Don't Cry.  It's curious.

But GNR fans know AFD like the back of their hand. Easy and Brownstone very well known in rock world. Nightrain too. 
 

But they weren't MTV videos playing in Peru that made them global touring band. 
 

This is one benefit of a small discography. People who just get GH basically have a lot of the songs.

 

A Best of that really fills in blanks for casuals is what is needed. East, Brown, Estranged, RQ, Coma. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, EstrangedTWAT said:

 

 

spacer.png

 

I fucking LOVE the lithographs!  One of my favorite things about the current band, hands down.

 

I like them, but they were pretty bland this year. Luiz Berger did a lot of them and his style is awful.

 

The Vancouver one (Deadpool) is fine, but the other movie one (Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the San Antonio show) was better. Sacremento and Rome were good ones. The rest were forgettable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

I like them, but they were pretty bland this year. Luiz Berger did a lot of them and his style is awful.

 

The Vancouver one (Deadpool) is fine, but the other movie one (Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the San Antonio show) was better. Sacremento and Rome were good ones. The rest were forgettable.

 

After 300+ designs, they're running outta steam for sure.  Agree that Luiz Berger sucks.  Even the mighty Arian Buhler turned in some stinkers this round.

 

Only ones that stood out to me this year were Edmonton and I liked the glow in the dark Misfits homage from Frankfurt.

 

The one for "my" show in San Diego was OK, but mostly for the colors, not really for the design.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

 

After 300+ designs, they're running outta steam for sure.  Agree that Luiz Berger sucks.  Even the mighty Arian Buhler turned in some stinkers this round.

 

Only ones that stood out to me this year were Edmonton and I liked the glow in the dark Misfits homage from Frankfurt.

 

The one for "my" show in San Diego was OK, but mostly for the colors, not really for the design.

 

 

 

Just looked up the San Diego one, wouldn't have guessed that was from Buhler. He also did the Vancouver one, which isn't the worst design this year but is a far cry from his Vancouver 2017 design.

I didn't think Edmonton was anything special. The Rome one was cool because it came in that colosseum slipcase thing. The Frankfurt/Misfits design was nice too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Setlist FM has interesting most played list

 

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/guns-n-roses-7bd69e24.html

 

its crazy Chi dem and Better played more than most GNR songs live. 

 

CD has toured on and off for the last 20 years, where the setlist was basically AFD, CD, and the singles or key songs from Illusions. It's the entire thing where people always used to say "It's not real Guns N' Roses", but the band was NuGNR for longer than they were, as Axl liked to call them, Old GNR.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All depends on the venue.  Some are really strict about 1 or 2 per person.  Some let people buy multiples.

 

There are usually only about 250 or so printed.  VERY limited.  At least 40-50 of them never reach the public cause those are reserved for the band and crew.

 

If you get there early, find which merch booth has them, and get in line, it's usually the best bet.

 

They always sell out unless it's a total dogshit design/shit-ass city nobody wants.  Big city shows sometimes sell out instantly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Or they've reached the point where they double (or triple? quadruple?) dip on the classics. Live Era: AFD box set, throw 3-4 live shows in an over priced box and tour it for a few years. Casual fans get Ritz 88 'the best show ever, that MTV played all the time' in HD and maybe they throw in something like Giants Stadium 88 or Cathouse 89 for a few more sales. It's minimal work for the band and label and generates more press/sales than a new single.

Competent management definitely would've milked the discography during the reunion years.

 

There's really only two issues with it...

 

While there's obviously some demos still sitting in the vaults, and that's mainly what we want, any set has to revolve around the live stuff. Can this work for them? Stones make a killing on this..but they have a 40+ year track record of releasing live material. GNR do not.

 

The dwindling hardcore base isn't just a myth anymore. The lackluster box set sales prove this. The streams/YouTube views on the new/live stuff isn't all that impressive. They can't even get all their own subscribers to watch.  How do you sell product to people who don't even want to watch it on YouTube for free?

 

It's a situation unlike any other major act.

 

One more thing...

 

If they ever get real management, the nearly 20 year strategy of having people delete everything on YouTube will come to a dead stop. All it accomplished was destroying the band's social media footprint. People like Trent Reznor laugh at such nonsense.

 

And yeah...Ritz 88 should've been released at least 20 years ago.

 

1 hour ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

No way CD or Rocket Queen, or even It's So Easy/Brownstone/Nightrain were bigger hits with the general public than Patience and Don't Cry.  It's curious.

Patience and Don't Cry weren't on AFD. That's why they arent in heavy rotation.

 

If you're not AFD, YCBM, NR, LALD, or KOHD, you're expendable at any point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, gunsntortillas said:

 

CD has toured on and off for the last 20 years, where the setlist was basically AFD, CD, and the singles or key songs from Illusions. It's the entire thing where people always used to say "It's not real Guns N' Roses", but the band was NuGNR for longer than they were, as Axl liked to call them, Old GNR.

 

 

It's crazy how basically 89-90 is when the band was forged, then 91 added. Then there's almost 20 years of Axl touring with out that line up. Using clones to trick everyone. So during that time you heard a few CD era songs.
 

Chi dem and and Better played same amount as Estranged and Civil War. 
 

So it's info that makes you think all 4 should be on a Best of. 
 

A 1 cd Best of maybe not, but a 2 cd they are the two CD era songs. I think fans should listen to TWAT and Catcher more. Madagascar too. I guess SOD. TIL. 7 tracks from CD seems to much but add HS, Ab, Perhaps in and it's a solid block. 
 

Chi dem

Hard skool

Better

Perhaps

Absurd

TWAT

Catcher

Madagascar

This I Love

The General 

Monsters

Atlas Shrugged

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

GNR's Spotify stats:

 

SCOM

Jungle

PC

NR

KOHD

DC

Patience

LALD

YCBM

Civil War

Nightrain

Estranged

SIDHY

Brownstone

It's So Easy

Rocket Queen

Yesterdays

TIL

Used To Love Her

My Michelle

 

 

Other than a couple oddballs, that's AFD with a few GH tracks thrown in.

 

8 of the top 20 are AFD...and #21-22 are also AFD tracks. By the time you get to #29, all of AFD is on the chart.

 

The top 40 has a total of 3 CD songs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

GNR's Spotify stats:

 

SCOM

Jungle

PC

NR

KOHD

DC

Patience

LALD

YCBM

Civil War

Nightrain

Estranged

SIDHY

Brownstone

It's So Easy

Rocket Queen

Yesterdays

TIL

Used To Love Her

My Michelle

 

 

Other than a couple oddballs, that's AFD with a few GH tracks thrown in.

 

8 of the top 20 are AFD...and #21-22 are also AFD tracks. By the time you get to #29, all of AFD is on the chart.

 

The top 40 has a total of 3 CD songs.


Best ofs are subjective, GH was just the hits which threw in some questionable decisions. 

A GNR best of is a good way to cover the entire career. 3-4 CD songs seems legit. A couple Reunion songs if not more. 
 

The Early Days /Latter Days Zepp package helped me get into Zepp. You'd heard all the classics on Disc 1. Then on 2 you got all the epic slightly more expansive. 
 

Seems about right. First 9 as expected. 
 

The rest are in the mix. 
 

Coma will probably be included. SIDHU should be executed. 
 

Then add 10 from CD era or some BO, PTU, Izzy songs. 
 

Chi Dem, Better, This I Love, Twat, HS, Perhaps is probably enough CD era, so there space for 8 AFD/UYI songs from the first 20.


Disc 1

Nightrain

Easy

Brownstone

Jungle

Live N Let Die

Heaven's Door

Paradise City

YCBM

DC

Nov Rain

Estranged

Used to Love Her

Yesterdays

Coma

 

Disc 2
Sweet Child O Mine

My Michelle

Civil War

Patience

Pretty Tied Up

Bad Obsession

Rocket Queen

Chinese Democracy

Better

Perhaps

Hard Skool

There was a Time

Catcher in the Rye

This I Love

 

$79.99

 

Tape Only

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Slugworth said:

GNR's Spotify stats:

 

SCOM

Jungle

PC

NR

KOHD

DC

Patience

LALD

YCBM

Civil War

Nightrain

Estranged

SIDHY

Brownstone

It's So Easy

Rocket Queen

Yesterdays

TIL

Used To Love Her

My Michelle

 

 

Other than a couple oddballs, that's AFD with a few GH tracks thrown in.

 

8 of the top 20 are AFD...and #21-22 are also AFD tracks. By the time you get to #29, all of AFD is on the chart.

 

The top 40 has a total of 3 CD songs.

Lol TIL.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Slugworth said:

The dwindling hardcore base isn't just a myth anymore. The lackluster box set sales prove this. The streams/YouTube views on the new/live stuff isn't all that impressive. They can't even get all their own subscribers to watch.  How do you sell product to people who don't even want to watch it on YouTube for free?

 

 

 

 

I'm absolutely shocked at the fact that there's still such a huge CASUAL fanbase.

 

I got to the stadium in San Diego well before showtime, and the place was fucking EMPTY.  It continued to be empty during pretty much the entirety of Alice In Chains' set.  They played to mostly empty seats.

 

But at showtime, I looked behind me and was absolutely stunned to see a 35,000 seat stadium pretty much full, all the way up to the nosebleeds, on all sides.  Crazy.

 

Last show I was at was in 2017 Japan, and of fucking course that was sold out.  It was Japan's first chance to see Axl and Slash since 1993.

 

But here we are in the year of our lord 2023, after eight full years of chances to see the "reunited" band, and they're still able to fill up stadiums and arenas in America.  That's nuts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest The Monkey

I listen to the new Stones album every day at the gym.

 

I think about Crab Rangoon every day after my workout.

 

I haven't listened to these songs in a week at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Slugworth said:

 

 

If they ever reach the point where they ditch the 3 hour shows, which they probably will on the next tour, we're gonna see all that Chinese stuff removed.

 

I'm going to laugh so hard when they ditch the 3 hr shows and DON'T remove the CD material and ADD The General but not Monsters :pepelol:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest The Monkey
7 minutes ago, wasted said:

image.thumb.jpeg.12915314a5581d112ba3c95fb06ef219.jpeg

Ok this is not gross. 
 

It's basically Crab Samosas. I'll allow it. 
 

Chicken Satay is a main course. 


These are technically butterflies. Rangoon has 4 edges and a rounded square center. It’s important for the texture

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...