Jump to content

Eternal General Thread - 01/24 UPDATE - GROUNDBREAKING AI MUSIC VIDEO RELEASED


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, gunsntortillas said:

 

I don't know anything about the Robin Finck's current career, but most celebrities who aren't top-level A-listers do that cameo and zoom thing because it is incredibly profitable. It isn't like a full time gig or anything, they get a notification when some dork wants one, or when someone orders one as a gift. Usually it isn't a one-on-one thing. Someone says "Hey Fernando, Tyler is a big fan of Guns N' Roses, can you wish him a Happy Birthday", and then Fernando or whatever other B-Z list celebrity takes the $60 and records a 1 to 5 minute video on their webcam saying "Hey Tyler, Mandy told me it was your birthday. I hope you have a better time than I am having right now! All jokes aside, have a rocking birthday!!!!!!!".

 

Granted, some celebrities who make it their bread and butter like the Soup Nazi put in a lot of effort, but it's basically a license to print money without doing anything. 

 

https://www.cameo.com/gilbygtr17?qid=1700511751&aaQueryId=25aae6394b34cb02c46d74e14b56909a

 

Fucking Gilby Clarke cashing in with half-assed 20 second videos. Lol.

I'm not sure Funch even qualifies as a "celebrity" and Dribbly Clarke is just shite and talentless...

 

No surprise he does this...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gunsntortillas said:

 

I don't know anything about the Robin Finck's current career, but most celebrities who aren't top-level A-listers do that cameo and zoom thing because it is incredibly profitable. It isn't like a full time gig or anything, they get a notification when some dork wants one, or when someone orders one as a gift. Usually it isn't a one-on-one thing. Someone says "Hey Fernando, Tyler is a big fan of Guns N' Roses, can you wish him a Happy Birthday", and then Fernando or whatever other B-Z list celebrity takes the $60 and records a 1 to 5 minute video on their webcam saying "Hey Tyler, Mandy told me it was your birthday. I hope you have a better time than I am having right now! All jokes aside, have a rocking birthday!!!!!!!".

 

Granted, some celebrities who make it their bread and butter like the Soup Nazi put in a lot of effort, but it's basically a license to print money without doing anything. 

 

https://www.cameo.com/gilbygtr17?qid=1700511751&aaQueryId=25aae6394b34cb02c46d74e14b56909a

 

Fucking Gilby Clarke cashing in with half-assed 20 second videos. Lol.

I’d rather eat stale overspiced noodles from a wet paper bag in the trunk of a 2000 Hyundai Elantra while getting raw fucked in the ass by one of Ragnar’s goats than get a birthday video from Creepnando. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ragnar said:

I'm not sure Funch even qualifies as a "celebrity" and Dribbly Clarke is just shite and talentless...

 

No surprise he does this...

Pretty much most of the former members think that they have gotten so famous and achieved a lot because they were a GNR member for a few years, while contributing to other projects more than GNR. Ashba, Flunk, Melissa, Nose and Sorum included. 
 

Finck and Ashba were probably the most productive outside GNR. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

On the GNR website i never thought id see the band sell the Tokyo 92 show. The UYI show isnt being advertised as a product only UYI2.

 

 

Screenshot_20231121_091320_Chrome.jpg

 

I highly doubt it is still in print. They probably just stumbled on a case of them in Axl's basement or something. 

 

I don't know if the website is run by the band, or is run by whatever system Universal has for managing the sale of merch. If you want a funny lolGNR story, the website uses a shipping calculator, and someone must have put the wrong dimensions in for the Locked N' Loaded Box Set, because they were offering Fedex International shipping for a like 12 dollars. Keep in mind, when they finally fixed this problem, the actual shipping cost was like 400+, so they may have been losing money fulfilling orders with the Locked N' Loaded box set. 

 

It was like this for a long time, so unless nobody outside the US ordered it for months, they must have fulfilled a bunch of orders this way before realizing how much they were losing.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still have the VHS tapes.

 

I always intended to upgrade to the DVDs at some point, but now DVDs look as bad as VHS used to.

 

Besides...what's the point now.  If I ever really wanted to watch it, it's on youtube.   Other than the Sail Away Sweet Sister/Bad Time/Sweet Child part, I haven't revisited that show in...decades.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To me it seems like blocking out studio time was a way to have a band, because they were under 2 year contracts. A real band exists outside of booked studio time. But this was a different situation. 
 

It never made sense that session musicians who had never written a hit song were suddenly going to because they were in a studio for 2 years. What worked in GNR, besides Izzy/Slash, was Axl writing on piano or working with Slash. And TIL and Catcher were done on piano and Axl worked with Tobias and that's what worked well. Izzy brought in demos and maybe Finck/Bucket did that too, but there was no Slash to really get hold of all the songs and put together a cohesive rock album. 
 

The whole method of laying down tracks to sing over seems counter intuitive to how songs originate. Surely you'd want the lyrics/vocals and basic tune first, then a crack team of musicians to go in and finish them off. To have 100 sketches doesn't seem much help if you don't have lyrics. But there were lyrics and vocals in 2000-1. So this is where the record company has to become an issue. 
 

Another thing is I think of the material as Axl's or the band's, but really the record company owned them and if they weren't interested in releasing them then they didn't. When one thing leads to another and everything goes well it happens smoothly.

 

But after a few hiccups Axl was probably not always fully invested in the project because who knows where it was going. So without some show of support and commitment, it was probably left to drift. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, DaddyDont said:

 

Big Daddy with the re-recorded "Sweet Child O' Mine" came out in June 1999, then "Oh My God" and the Live Era album came out in November 1999

 

Axl apparently did his Live Era overdubs in July 1999 and gave NewGNR the month off so he could focus on it - so I'm guessing he was feeling good vocally after that, and decided to start laying down vocals on new material soon after

 

edit: ah, here we go

 

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3410

"Rumbles of Finck's decision had been going around for just a week, but it couldn't be made official because his two-year contract with GNR wasn't up until Saturday (Aug. 1). [...] A label spokesperson says, 'Robin finished recording several albums worth of material with Guns N' Roses. Axl is now working on the vocals for the album.'" (allstarnews.com, 08/04/99)

 

So Axl did his demo vocals in July/August 1999 - Robin confirms that when he quit in August, he still hadn't heard Axl's vocals on anything:

 

"It was great for a while, but then it became terribly frustrating not seeing anything completed because no lyrics were finished. [...] No one song was ever completed and I was there for two and a half years." (Robin, Wall of Sound, 05/00)

 

"I was excited about the material - the band sounded good. But we'd get a song done to an extent and wait for Axl to write a lyric and/or song. I couldn't work on songs with titles like 'Instrumental 34' anymore." (Robin, Kerrang, 12/99)

The amount of wasted money in studio time is as bad as michael jackson renting out various studios in the hope he might feel creative and lay down vocals for something.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wasted said:

To me it seems like blocking out studio time was a way to have a band, because they were under 2 year contracts. A real band exists outside of booked studio time. But this was a different situation. 
 

It never made sense that session musicians who had never written a hit song were suddenly going to because they were in a studio for 2 years. What worked in GNR, besides Izzy/Slash, was Axl writing on piano or working with Slash. And TIL and Catcher were done on piano and Axl worked with Tobias and that's what worked well. Izzy brought in demos and maybe Finck/Bucket did that too, but there was no Slash to really get hold of all the songs and put together a cohesive rock album. 
 

The whole method of laying down tracks to sing over seems counter intuitive to how songs originate. Surely you'd want the lyrics/vocals and basic tune first, then a crack team of musicians to go in and finish them off. To have 100 sketches doesn't seem much help if you don't have lyrics. But there were lyrics and vocals in 2000-1. So this is where the record company has to become an issue. 
 

Another thing is I think of the material as Axl's or the band's, but really the record company owned them and if they weren't interested in releasing them then they didn't. When one thing leads to another and everything goes well it happens smoothly.

 

But after a few hiccups Axl was probably not always fully invested in the project because who knows where it was going. So without some show of support and commitment, it was probably left to drift. 

Seems the band was most produtive in 98-9?

So in 2000 album is done and in Axls head album is ready for mixing when Axl hands the finished recording product to Geffen.

Geffen says no needs more work.

Perhaps Axl loses all motivation after that. 

What additional parts could he work on more if he thinks there are no changes required and the songs are good as is?. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

What additional parts could he work on more if he thinks there are no changes required and the songs are good as is?

He spent late 99 and early 2000 auditioning Robin's replacement, re-recorded some of Robin's parts...and then Robin came back in late 2000.

 

In the meantime, Josh Freese left.

 

I think Slash leaving set off a cycle in Axl's head of "everyone who leaves me cannot be on the album".

 

Axl even threw shade at Robin right after he left:

 

https://htgth.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=28

 

 Rose: We're hoping. Yes, definitely, everything seems to be going well. Robin's departure was abrupt, sudden, you know, not expected...

 

Loder: He just wanted to get back to Nine Inch Nails, right?

 

Rose: [continuing] ... but at the same time, it's turned out to be a good thing. We've been able to push some of the guitar parts a step farther, that had he been here, it's not something that would have been considered, and I wouldn't have been rude enough to attempt to do that. Robin did a great job, but we've been able to up the ante a little bit. Dave came in and did something great on "Oh My God," and we've had a few other people come in, so that was a setback for a while, but then it's turned out to be a good thing.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

I still have the VHS tapes.

 

I always intended to upgrade to the DVDs at some point, but now DVDs look as bad as VHS used to.

 

Besides...what's the point now.  If I ever really wanted to watch it, it's on youtube.   Other than the Sail Away Sweet Sister/Bad Time/Sweet Child part, I haven't revisited that show in...decades.

 

It's the bloated 92 tour... there's not much reason to revisit it. Even the Las Vegas show they put in the box set, I probably listened to the full thing once or twice. It's good but it's got nothing on the Ritz show.

Tokyo dvd's are a weird thing to re-release. I doubt many people still even buy dvd's, but if they did a blu ray with bonus tracks they'd sell at least twice as many for at least twice the price. 3-disc set, $60, a month before christmas? Half their facebook followers would happily bend over.

Although to their credit, it's almost amazing that we got the Ritz 91 blu ray instead of Tokyo 92 with maybe some extras like Coma...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Seems the band was most produtive in 98-9?

So in 2000 album is done and in Axls head album is ready for mixing when Axl hands the finished recording product to Geffen.

Geffen says no needs more work.

Perhaps Axl loses all motivation after that. 

What additional parts could he work on more if he thinks there are no changes required and the songs are good as is?. 

 

 

Axl's actual job is done at that point. They can say it doesn't sound this or that, but songs are there with vocals. Ok re-record with Bucket. Takes about a year. Then they still say no. As we know the songs are what they are, there's no SCOM or Jungle guaranteed hit, but those songs never were anyway. Nothing is a sure thing.
 

Rec comp needs to get in there and make it happen, and they were too busy sucking Eminem or Durst's to care.  Considering there's no Slash and you have a band of Alt rock guys in there, those songs are in the ball park of a GNR. TWAT is up there with classic GNR album, IRS  had buzz, Chi dem gets used on GNR pinball machines. You have the Axl Rose ballads and a bunch of faster rock songs that fit the nu metal times. 
 

It makes sense though unless it's going to be huge why taint the legacy cash cow?  But then Slash comes back and they put out Absurd and The General.
 

I feel like now it doesn't matter because there's no big money for rec comp to chase or hope for. They are probably happy to put HS and Perhaps on a Best of down the road. So everyone's happy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also regarding the vocals, from the same November 1999 interview he gave:

 

"Rose: The record will be about, anywhere from 16 to 18 songs"

 

"I'm doing the vocals. I'm about three-quarters of the way through, and it's a very difficult process for me."

 

So between July 1999 and November 1999 he (allegedly) wrote lyrics for and laid down vocals for 3/4 of the songs including "Oh My God"

 

A guest at Axl's Halloween party in October 1999 said Axl played "Madagascar" for her since he had just finished it

 

Brian May recorded in December 1999 I think, so that means vocals were done on "Atlas Shrugged" and "Catcher in the Rye" at that point as well.

 

And Rolling Stone said in January 2000 when Axl previewed the album for them, that they heard "Catcher in the Rye", "The Blues", "Oklahoma" (instrumental) and "IRS"

 

On the Village Session tapes, the earliest tracks with vocals labeled 3/27/2000 are "Prostitute", "Catcher in the Rye", "Perhaps", "Atlas Shrugged", "State of Grace"

 

And the Village Session tapes without vocals labeled 3/27/2000 are "Quick Song, "Tonto", "Oklahoma", "Me & My Elvis", "D Tune" and "Curly Shuffle"

 

"Riad N' the Bedouins" and "Chinese Democracy" were first recorded with Josh before he left in March 2000

 

So the 1999 tracklist Axl had to work with when he was writing lyrics would have been:

 

Atlas Shrugged

Catcher in the Rye

Chinese Democracy

Curly Shuffle

D Tune

IRS

Madagascar

Me & My Elvis

Oh My God

Oklahoma

Perhaps

Prostitute

Quick Song

Riad N' the Bedouins

State of Grace

The Blues

There Was a Time

Tonto

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

It's the bloated 92 tour... there's not much reason to revisit it. Even the Las Vegas show they put in the box set, I probably listened to the full thing once or twice. It's good but it's got nothing on the Ritz show.

Tokyo dvd's are a weird thing to re-release. I doubt many people still even buy dvd's, but if they did a blu ray with bonus tracks they'd sell at least twice as many for at least twice the price. 3-disc set, $60, a month before christmas? Half their facebook followers would happily bend over.

Although to their credit, it's almost amazing that we got the Ritz 91 blu ray instead of Tokyo 92 with maybe some extras like Coma...

 

I started watching the video forgetting Axls atrocious wardrobe choices (shorts) during this time period.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, DaddyDont said:

Also regarding the vocals, from the same November 1999 interview he gave:

 

"Rose: The record will be about, anywhere from 16 to 18 songs"

 

"I'm doing the vocals. I'm about three-quarters of the way through, and it's a very difficult process for me."

 

So between July 1999 and November 1999 he (allegedly) wrote lyrics for and laid down vocals for 3/4 of the songs including "Oh My God"

 

A guest at Axl's Halloween party in October 1999 said Axl played "Madagascar" for her since he had just finished it

 

Brian May recorded in December 1999 I think, so that means vocals were done on "Atlas Shrugged" and "Catcher in the Rye" at that point as well.

 

And Rolling Stone said in January 2000 when Axl previewed the album for them, that they heard "Catcher in the Rye", "The Blues", "Oklahoma" (instrumental) and "IRS"

 

On the Village Session tapes, the earliest tracks with vocals labeled 3/27/2000 are "Prostitute", "Catcher in the Rye", "Perhaps", "Atlas Shrugged", "State of Grace"

 

And the Village Session tapes without vocals labeled 3/27/2000 are "Quick Song, "Tonto", "Oklahoma", "Me & My Elvis", "D Tune" and "Curly Shuffle"

 

"Riad N' the Bedouins" and "Chinese Democracy" were first recorded with Josh before he left in March 2000

 

So the 1999 tracklist Axl had to work with when he was writing lyrics would have been:

 

Atlas Shrugged

Catcher in the Rye

Chinese Democracy

Curly Shuffle

D Tune

IRS

Madagascar

Me & My Elvis

Oh My God

Oklahoma

Perhaps

Prostitute

Quick Song

Riad N' the Bedouins

State of Grace

The Blues

There Was a Time

Tonto

Madagascar

Oh my God

Riad

Chinese

The Blues

IRS 

Twat 

Catcher

Oklahoma

Perhaps

Atlas Shrugged

State of Grace

Prostitute

 

got vocals pretty early on. enough for an album. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, DaddyDont said:

The Village leaks date back to early 2001, and as of then Axl still hadn't put vocals on "Oklahoma"

 

For all we know he just wrote the melody after the Oklahoma City Bombing and never wrote lyrics

It's a minor detail, but I think it's a good bet he was talking about the lyrics of the song. But it's not obvious from the quote unless he responded to a question about songs. But it was last called Berlin so who knows. 
 

Also considering The General had vocals and wasn't on Village leaks or was it? 
 


As the far as the songs go: 'Oklahoma' was pretty much written by the time they got to the studio. Axl wrote that with inspiration from the Oklahoma City bombing (more as a tribute to those who died, if I'm not mistaken). [...] 

Dave Dominguez, Sp1at, 02/07/05


I was sitting in my litigation with my ex-wife, and it was the day after the bombing. We had a break, and I'm sitting with my attorneys with a sort of smile on my face, more like a nervous thing - it was like, 'Forgive me, people, I'm having trouble taking this seriously.' It's just ironic that we're sitting there and this person is spewing all kinds of things and 168 people just got killed. And this person I'm sitting there with, she don't care. Obliterating me is their goal. 

Axl Speaks, Rolling Stone, January 2000


Talking about Riad And The Bedouins: It’s not Oklahoma which later became Berlin and subject to change.

Axl's chat on the fan forums, 2008

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The General related maybe 


"I feel that child abuse and sexual abuse … is kind of the key to why there are so many problems in the world today. The more books I read on it, and the more work I do on trying to overcome the problems that I had in my childhood that I accepted … I knew it was crazy, but I accepted it as normal behavior for my life, and I realize now that it wasn't normal behavior, and it's caused me to act in many ways because it's what I was trained, it's what I was taught, it's what I saw. My formative years were very ugly." –Interview, 1991

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...