Eternal General Thread - 01/24 UPDATE - GROUNDBREAKING AI MUSIC VIDEO RELEASED

What is strange is that they think that the synth grunge pop rock material keeps them more relevant than doing 80s hard rock.

Absurd and The General will do better on youtube or current landscape for GNR than say a Slash solo song with Axl singing? 

I wonder if the success of the tour gives a false impression of reaction to new material. 

I always thought the GNR reunion would sound like Get in the Ring. Slash would come back with a ballasy YCBM 2 type rocker and it would be clear they were back. 

But the people on youtube reacting to new  GNR singles seem like they wouldn't get YCBM. They would think it was old sounding and wouldn't live up to the hype. 

The fact UMG is allowing Axl to do his material as the reunion is strange too. Maybe ironically the industry has caught up and now wants Nu Guns. Axl knew where the puck was going to be in 2023. 

31 minutes ago, wasted said:

What is strange is that they think that the synth grunge pop rock material keeps them more relevant than doing 80s hard rock.

Absurd and The General will do better on youtube or current landscape for GNR than say a Slash solo song with Axl singing? 

I wonder if the success of the tour gives a false impression of reaction to new material. 

I always thought the GNR reunion would sound like Get in the Ring. Slash would come back with a ballasy YCBM 2 type rocker and it would be clear they were back. 

But the people on youtube reacting to new  GNR singles seem like they wouldn't get YCBM. They would think it was old sounding and wouldn't live up to the hype. 

The fact UMG is allowing Axl to do his material as the reunion is strange too. Maybe ironically the industry has caught up and now wants Nu Guns. Axl knew where the puck was going to be in 2023. 

The only reason UMG is allowing the material is because of Slash.

The casuals think these are "new" songs recorded with GravyHat. 

Would UMG be allowing these tracks to be released had the 2014 lineup was still going?.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

The only reason UMG is allowing the material is because of Slash.

The casuals think these are "new" songs recorded with GravyHat. 

Would UMG be allowing these tracks to be released had the 2014 lineup was still going?.

Remains to be seen. Zutaut said yes in 14-16 CD II was coming. Maybe eventually. 

But they don't have to use the synth pop songs, Slash is there they can go full hard rock now. 

UMG could insist on new material. But do they see oh this kind of works with Slash. 

Axl's 90s influence material now feels more grounded in rock that it feels like something GNR would put out. The reaction to Absurd and The General hasn't been this doesn't sound like GNR, there's those comments, but in broader cases it's just okay GNR, it's not bad, it's surprisingly good. It doesn't sound old style and has enough GNR to convince.

Tour promoters decided the reunion. UMG don't seem that bothered in the Axl n Slash way. It's doesnt have to sound like 80s 90s GNR. I find it surprising. 

After so long blocking Axl's material to then release Absurd as the first single. How cynical are they? Maybe they don't listen to the music. Is Slash on it? Okay put this out. 

7 minutes ago, DaddyDont said:

"Perhaps" and "Hard Skool" are the only radio-friendly songs Axl's come up with in the last 30 years

I almost wonder if those are the two tracks Bob Ezrin liked in 2001, and Axl shelved them out of spite

They don't sound like the mess of instrumentation he talked about. So very possible. 

I think 2 1/2 singles is fair. But we heard what Ezrin heard on Locker Leaks. It's just GNR songs, they aren't all Kiss meets Deftones commeecial. 

Ezrin just wanted to get on the GNR gravy train. And shit on RTB his mortal enemy. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wasted said:

Remains to be seen. Zutaut said yes in 14-16 CD II was coming. Maybe eventually. 

But they don't have to use the synth pop songs, Slash is there they can go full hard rock now. 

UMG could insist on new material. But do they see oh this kind of works with Slash. 

Axl's 90s influence material now feels more grounded in rock that it feels like something GNR would put out. The reaction to Absurd and The General hasn't been this doesn't sound like GNR, there's those comments, but in broader cases it's just okay GNR, it's not bad, it's surprisingly good. It doesn't sound old style and has enough GNR to convince.

Tour promoters decided the reunion. UMG don't seem that bothered in the Axl n Slash way. It's doesnt have to sound like 80s 90s GNR. I find it surprising. 

After so long blocking Axl's material to then release Absurd as the first single. How cynical are they? Maybe they don't listen to the music. Is Slash on it? Okay put this out. 

Maybe these songs are given the green light by UMG to be released on a Anthology/GH release sometime down the track.

Perfats, HS and Monsters , if Monsters would be released as a single sounds like the old band. Some fans might think the song sounds like a seymour song that was written after NR when her and Axl split up.

7 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Maybe these songs are given the green light by UMG to be released on a Anthology/GH release sometime down the track.

Perfats, HS and Monsters , if Monsters would be released as a single sounds like the old band. Some fans might think the song sounds like a seymour song that was written after NR when her and Axl split up.

It has that anthemic power ballad quality. But maybe it's too bitter. Axl telling his ex to go fuck herself isn't as romantic as Nov Rain or Estranged. Maybe all the divorcees on Facebook will love Monsters. Monsters is the pinnacle of the CD era so far. 

I think you're right about UMG will think of tacking on HS and Perhaps to a Best of - the 2 disc Best of set is something they haven't got in the discog. 

19 minutes ago, wasted said:

It has that anthemic power ballad quality. But maybe it's too bitter. Axl telling his ex to go fuck herself isn't as romantic as Nov Rain or Estranged. Maybe all the divorcees on Facebook will love Monsters. Monsters is the pinnacle of the CD era so far. 

I think you're right about UMG will think of tacking on HS and Perhaps to a Best of - the 2 disc Best of set is something they haven't got in the discog. 

Its the 2000 era equivalant of Puddle Of Muds song she hates me.

Plenty of 2000 era songs about hating your ex. I think had it had been released as a single it might have got a fair bit of radio airplay and might have done pretty well on the rock charts.

92 casual fans getting married with NR playing at their wedding.

2000 same fans playing monsters at their divorce party.

2 hours ago, wasted said:

They don't sound like the mess of instrumentation he talked about. So very possible. 

I think 2 1/2 singles is fair. But we heard what Ezrin heard on Locker Leaks. It's just GNR songs, they aren't all Kiss meets Deftones commeecial. 

Ezrin just wanted to get on the GNR gravy train. And shit on RTB his mortal enemy. 

Roy Thomas Baker is gay.  Is that a widely known fact or something I heard in LA and wasn't supposed to say?

36 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Its the 2000 era equivalant of Puddle Of Muds song she hates me.

Plenty of 2000 era songs about hating your ex. I think had it had been released as a single it might have got a fair bit of radio airplay and might have done pretty well on the rock charts.

92 casual fans getting married with NR playing at their wedding.

2000 same fans playing monsters at their divorce party.

Like when Perla had that Divorce Cake with a model of decapitated Slash on top of it. 

There's still something too dark about Monsters. On the bridge Axl sounds like he's legit angry and coming over with a shotgun. 

But if Axl backed it with a kind Used to Love Her quote it might fly but he'd probably say it's about his mom or Seymour and Dylan's relationship. 

13 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Roy Thomas Baker is gay.  Is that a widely known fact or something I heard in LA and wasn't supposed to say?

Wouldn't say widely known but RTB is pretty low key in the media. 

Jimmy Iovine was known as bi sexual and he made the Metoo list for hijinks in 2017. 

23 hours ago, The Monkey said:

The single cover is so shitty and low effort. Shameful.

Yeah it really is.

Probably took about 5 seconds to come up with that.

It's another sign they don't really care about this material.

In the one in a billion chance Oklahoma gets a release, its single cover will be an Oklahoma rose.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slugworth said:

Yeah it really is.

Probably took about 5 seconds to come up with that.

It's another sign they don't really care about this material.

In the one in a billion chance Oklahoma gets a release, its single cover will be an Oklahoma rose.

spacer.png

The Oklahoma single cover could be a stock image map of the state and I wouldn't care if it has vocals.

• Like 1

Guest The Monkey

They should release what they have recorded.

It'll be a footnote, make your hardcores happy, and move the fuck on.

It's a joke. Nobody is hyped to hear Atlas Shrugged in 2025.

5 minutes ago, The Monkey said:

Nobody is hyped to hear Atlas Shrugged in 2025.

Remember too that when Axl brought Brian May in to re-record Robin's parts, Axl thought that "Catcher in the Rye", "Atlas Shrugged" and "Riad N' the Bedouins" were the best songs he had, and was considering trashing the rest:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=54817#p54817

"[Axl] said, 'Brian can you come and do stuff which I will like and I won't feel too bad about ditching this other stuff?'. So I did. I went over there and I think I played on three tracks and messed around on various other things. But it worked out pretty well, as far as I can tell." (Brian May, Radio One Rock Show, 05/10/00)

"Axl was feeling he that was in a difficult place, because the guitarist he'd been working with on this new album, [...] that'd done most of the tracks, had departed and Axl had a real emotional attachment to what he'd done, and yet [...] he didn't really want him to stay on the album because he'd disappeared, you know." (Brian May, Radio One Rock Show, 05/10/00)

Axl also previewed "There Was a Time", "IRS", "Street of Dreams" and "Oklahoma" for Rolling Stone in January 2000, so he must have intended on keeping those. He previewed "Madagascar" for friends on Halloween 1999, so that probably was also a keeper.

So these tracks were on the chopping block in early 2000:

Curly Shuffle

D Tune

Me & My Elvis

Perhaps

Prostitute

Quick Song

State of Grace

This I Love (shelved in 1998)

Tonto

And the post-Robin album tracklist in early 2000 would have looked like:

Atlas Shrugged (feat. Brian May)