Eternal General Thread - 01/24 UPDATE - GROUNDBREAKING AI MUSIC VIDEO RELEASED

18 hours ago, DaddyDont said:

Axl] said, 'Brian can you come and do stuff which I will like and I won't feel too bad about ditching this other stuff?'. So I did. I went over there and I think I played on three tracks and messed around on various other things.

I forgot about this.

Yeah he was already willing to shit can the whole thing and he's only a couple years in at that point.

Some "vision".

The whole saga looks so much worse as more time passes. We're waiting on songs that haven't been talked about since those days...and nobody else cares.

The song hardcores are expecting next (Atlas Shrugged), he's never mentioned the goddamn thing! Ron mentioned it once in 2008 and Splat mentioned it in 2005. Wow...a  tidal wave of information. Everything else about it is just forum fan fiction constructed out of boredom to make it more mysterious.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2023 at 9:40 AM, Slugworth said:

Yeah it really is.

Probably took about 5 seconds to come up with that.

It's another sign they don't really care about this material.

In the one in a billion chance Oklahoma gets a release, its single cover will be an Oklahoma rose.

spacer.png

I actually hope its a photo of Axl in court at the time of the Oklahoma bombing.

image.png.e83f3258f4d94af2e25e618e08731d4d.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slugworth said:

The song hardcores are expecting next (Atlas Shrugged), he's never mentioned the goddamn thing! Ron mentioned it once in 2008 and Splat mentioned it in 2005. Wow...a  tidal wave of information.

He actually did a couple times

http://www.gnrevolution.com/song.php?id=5203

Song doesn't have all that much to do with the book other than trying to do what you believe in and a line about shoulders not being wide enough. (Axl Rose, MyGnR Forum, Dec. 2008)

Q: Will Brian May appear on Atlas Shrugged?

A: Perhaps on an alternate or bits, on that track it has more to do with recording issues and getting the mix to a good level. (Axl Rose, chinesedemocracy.com, Dec. 2008)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaddyDont said:

He actually did a couple times

http://www.gnrevolution.com/song.php?id=5203

Song doesn't have all that much to do with the book other than trying to do what you believe in and a line about shoulders not being wide enough. (Axl Rose, MyGnR Forum, Dec. 2008)

Q: Will Brian May appear on Atlas Shrugged?

A: Perhaps on an alternate or bits, on that track it has more to do with recording issues and getting the mix to a good level. (Axl Rose, chinesedemocracy.com, Dec. 2008)

Forgot about the forum chat mention.

In other words, he mentioned it twice within an hour.

Impressive.

This is why no proper book or documentary can ever really come to fruition on this project.

It was never properly archived by anyone and the top dog himself has so little to say about it.

"it has more to do with recording issues and getting the mix to a good level"

spacer.png

Good luck with that!

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, The Monkey said:

"Perhaps on an alternate"

e908a6cc7140254967d8b33434489072.png

I think he means alternate take/version.

This is when he was still pretending there would be B sides. In that alternate fantasy land, it would be possible to get alternate versions on a single.

Fans believed it at the time because no one knew there were so few songs with vocals and this shit would drag on into the mid 2020s and beyond.

2 hours ago, Slugworth said:

I forgot about this.

Yeah he was already willing to shit can the whole thing and he's only a couple years in at that point.

Some "vision".

The whole saga looks so much worse as more time passes. We're waiting on songs that haven't been talked about since those days...and nobody else cares.

The song hardcores are expecting next (Atlas Shrugged), he's never mentioned the goddamn thing! Ron mentioned it once in 2008 and Splat mentioned it in 2005. Wow...a  tidal wave of information. Everything else about it is just forum fan fiction constructed out of boredom to make it more mysterious.

It seems when Ezrin and Iovinne told Axl to rework the original batch of songs his motivation ended at that point.

• Like 1

Guest The Monkey
Just now, Slugworth said:

I think he means alternate take/version.

Yeah I know but how many of these so called alternate versions or takes do we even have? The majority of the stuff we have is the exact same songs with extremely minor variations. The lone standout is TIL because it’s a new vocal take in addition to the (horrible) remix.

If the great and powerful hoarders want to bless us with 15 takes of Bucket doing TWAT and Prostitute solos, that’d be great, but I’m still not expecting too much different than a 30 second solo take followed by another 30 second solo take.

Guest The Monkey
3 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

It seems when Ezrin and Iovinne told Axl to rework the original batch of songs his motivation ended at that point.

Axl had motivation? Since when?

5 minutes ago, The Monkey said:

Yeah I know but how many of these so called alternate versions or takes do we even have? The majority of the stuff we have is the exact same songs with extremely minor variations. The lone standout is TIL because it’s a new vocal take in addition to the (horrible) remix.

If the great and powerful hoarders want to bless us with 15 takes of Bucket doing TWAT and Prostitute solos, that’d be great, but I’m still not expecting too much different than a 30 second solo take followed by another 30 second solo take.

Versions of,

Drums up +1db

Bass down 3db

Etc etc

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Forgot about the forum chat mention.

In other words, he mentioned it twice within an hour.

Impressive.

This is why no proper book or documentary can ever really come to fruition on this project.

It was never properly archived by anyone and the top dog himself has so little to say about it.

"it has more to do with recording issues and getting the mix to a good level"

spacer.png

Good luck with that!

"it has more to do with recording issues and getting the mix to a good level"

which is still the same case with the shit protooling with the singles they have released since the reunion!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I think this combined with when Finck, Stinson, Bucket, Brain, and Pitman stopped bringing him music to hoard is what ultimately killed the project.

It's not a coincidence that no work is done other than pasting in crap to already finished songs around this same time.

There was nothing else to do because nothing new is coming in.

18 minutes ago, The Monkey said:

how many of these so called alternate versions or takes do we even have? The majority of the stuff we have is the exact same songs with extremely minor variations

Dizzy once mentioned some songs having different versions.

We know Catcher has at least two.

Perhaps may have two.

And so on.

Of course ALL these songs will use the same vocal takes.

Its the only band I know of where the vocal takes are the same no matter what stage of completion.

He just gives up as soon as there's a vocal take ready.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

"it has more to do with recording issues and getting the mix to a good level"

which is still the same case with the shit protooling with the singles they have released since the reunion!

Yep.

He had an extra 15 years after CD's release to get the mixes right for "the second half of Chinese" and they still sound like crap.

In fact, the basic rough mixes from 2000 sound better than the album or these singles!

It's embarrassing. How hard could it have been to call an actual professional to fix the mess him and Caram had made out of this material?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Yep.

He had an extra 15 years after CD's release to get the mixes right for "the second half of Chinese" and they still sound like crap.

In fact, the basic rough mixes from 2000 sound better than the album or these singles!

It's embarrassing. How hard could it have been to call an actual professional to fix the mess him and Caram had made out of this material?

Im certain he doesnt listen to the end result, and im certain these songs are just released to the shut the fanbase up. However they sound.

In years to come there will be more spotify searches for Jungle, NR, SCOM than the reunion material so he probably doesnt care. 

• Like 1

Here's a good example...

Call Hugh Padgham.

Here's a song that's an older demo with  Copeland and Summers pasted over the top.

You can't even tell.

Here's a 1991 demo with new music and vocals added in 2011.

You can't even tell the difference between new/old vocal takes.

This is why you need professionals, not sycophants.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Im certain he doesnt listen to the end result, and im certain these songs are just released to the shut the fanbase up. However they sound.

In years to come there will be more spotify searches for Jungle, NR, SCOM than the reunion material so he probably doesnt care. 

I don't think they really care about it either.

Don't remember what year...2011 or 12 I think...even Pitman was saying they don't need to do an album because albums don't matter anymore!

Remember...this is that period where some hardcores still believed they were hard at work on the second half of Chinese.

This drip feed of singles should've happened during the horrific Ashba era.  Downside to that though...it would mean we wouldn't get anything during the reunion.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Well when the songs was either about gravyhat and seymour on his 'shitlist' this was his only reason for probably working on the material.

It's sad that as soon as he got over Seymour and no longer hated Slash, he had nothing to say creatively.

That's some worldview...and a small comfort zone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Slugworth said:

I forgot about this.

Some "vision".

Axl talked about Atlas in the online chats. He said the song wasn't that much about the book, more how his shoulders weren't wide enough.

I've forgotten. Did the whole Beavan 99 album leak?  
Or was it just those 3- 4 leaks. 

Axl may have thought he might lose material but RTB just wanted to re-record everything. 

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

To say that after a full Re-record with RTB was kind of crazy. 

Supposedly they did do a lot of recording with Costanzo. There was a session in 2004 that seemed to finish Shacklers, If the World, Scraped and Sorry. Better wasn't decent until 2004. 

Given that TIL was included later and Chi dem was significantly different after Ron added rhythm guitars. He added rhythm guitar to every track. There were probably very few songs finished in 2001 to modern standard. It's like they wanted it to sound next level. 

But it was probably fine in 99. But records that were coming out like The Fragile or Holywood seemed to be bigger sounding than CD leaks. 

Also songs like The Blues, Catcher, Prostitute were probably written on piano but the piano wasnt  prominent enough to given that grand Nov Rain richness. 

Bands like Evanessence had great sound piano guitar orchestra songs. 

To me 70s Queen production isn't that powerful, Mercury's vocals dominate it. So I wonder if RTB was really the right guy. I get the idea of bringing in Ezrin as the Kiss guy to give the songs more oomf. But I think the band wasn't writing stomping glam anthems. There also isn't a guitarist laying down fat riffs.

The riffs are more nu metal reverse grinding riffs. Chi dem has a decent riff. That's it though. Half the album is ballads. 

James Lavelle is the only one I can think of hat did stuff like CD with his UNKLE band. It has alt rock, orchestra and electronic elements in a rock format/Sound. He gets the instrumentation balance right.   

Found this interesting article https://www.a-4-d.com/t1683-2001-01-16-o-globo-axl-talks-at-pool-side 

* Although this, the performance at Rock In Rio was the target of some criticizism from Axl. According to him, his voice was not at his best because of lack of sleep and the band needs to adjust the sound to these great shows. The expectations of the band turns now to the new album, "Chinese Democracy". The leader guarantees his fans that they will be rewarded for the long wait.

With 18 songs, the group's next album (they haven't released anything since 1993's "The Spaghetti Incident?") is a collection of songs, which in Axl's opinion are as good as "November Rain". Among them "Madagascar", included in the show on Sunday. The CD will include a tribute to John Lennon and another about child abuse.*  He mentions a song about child abuse which is The General. Never knew about this article 

• Like 1