The Eternal General - 04/24 - Unpinned but alive; Atlas/Monsters nowhere in sight; Slash 'Orgy of the Damned' next month

2 minutes ago, General Dexter said:

TIL seems to be a somewhat respected song in the smaller diehard circles. The song could have been executed better for the album, but I have heard worse GNR songs

I put it back in based on the Spotify numbers, but definitely casual UYI seem

to like it. Del soloing on a steakhouse, it's a hit. Slash on strip club. 

21 minutes ago, Facekicker said:

This I Love is atrocious. Another lyrical turd from his Highness. 

How now brown cow lyrics 

It's laughable. 

"Sheee wooouldn't saaayy goooodbyeeee!" :pepelol: fuck off 

To be fair, I like that song and it was even my favourite song once. It’s ridiculously simple, but I love the piano track and guitar solo. Agree to disagree, I think. 

in an alternative universe it would have been an excellent filler in a 80s/90s Queen album

1 minute ago, General Dexter said:

To be fair, I like that song and it was even my favourite song once. It’s ridiculously simple, but I love the piano track and guitar solo. Agree to disagree, I think. 

in an alternative universe it would have been an excellent filler in a 80s/90s Queen album

There's nothing wrong with the music, it's the lyrics. 

• Like 1

So, another Brazilian who likes to show off and expose himself in the GNR community a la Auad is now being harassed by a Finck obsessed fan on Instagram

image.png.cba00e60df984414ef4035fa753e1da2.png

What's with Brazilians exposing their faces and names all over the internet with no care? Just for the pleasure of self-promoting. At least Voodoochild does not post pics of his sex partners. If I'm being honest, I think he is not that great of a guitar player, not enough for having a YT channel for that.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, maynard said:

So, another Brazilian who likes to show off and expose himself in the GNR community a la Auad is now being harassed by a Finck obsessed fan on Instagram

image.png.cba00e60df984414ef4035fa753e1da2.png

What's with Brazilians exposing their faces and names all over the internet with no care? Just for the pleasure of self-promoting. At least Voodoochild does not post pics of his sex partners. If I'm being honest, I think he is not that great of a guitar player, not enough for having a YT channel for that.

That Finck nutswinger is frequently spamming under Youtube comments of various CD songs as well, being even worse there. I like Finck, but this obsession is beyond the absolute cringe. 

Guest Ragnar The Rape Enthusiast

Aless Ross ripped off Robert Funch !!!!!!

FUCK YOU ALESS ROSS !!!!

robotsrule12345

12345, Autism I tell you, Autism.....

commentou !!!!!

45 minutes ago, General Dexter said:

I think the fat man wrote the lyrics so simple that he couldn’t generate a new melody in his head, so he reused the piano track melody for the vocals

That and no Izzy to look at him and say - "Are you fucking high or something?" 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wasted said:

Best ofs are subjective, GH was just the hits which threw in some questionable decisions. 

A GNR best of is a good way to cover the entire career. 3-4 CD songs seems legit. A couple Reunion songs if not more. 

Other than some of those Stones compilations, greatest Best of I've ever had is Soundgarden's Telephantasm. Yeah it could use a couple more DOTU deep cuts but it's a great smorgasbord for casual fans. Get a little of everything...hits, deep cuts, demos, alt version, live, unreleased, and a new song.

11 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Lol TIL.

I still don't understand how that song cracked the top 20. It wasn't a single, wasn't in a movie/soundtrack...weird.

I do know the CD tracks performed during the reunion got a streaming boost but that stat is ridiculous.

11 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

I'm absolutely shocked at the fact that there's still such a huge CASUAL fanbase.

A few reasons...

The big 3 AFD songs are played in stadiums across the planet and have been for decades. That Jungle intro a sports anthem played almost constantly... especially in the 2000s. Fuck...the NFL used to cut to a break with the Locomotive intro playing.

The "big 5" (Jungle, SCOM,PC, YCBM, NR) are in constant rock radio rotation.

Slash and Duff are walking GNR commercials and VR gave the brand an even bigger boost.

Other than the brief moment of 2001-2, new GNR were turned into a nostalgia act. No one was going to hear CD...they were going for the main hits.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Monkey said:

I just watched to the Eagles documentary. It’s obvious that’s what Azoff had in mind for GnR and he was right but Axl did it in his lazy low effort way. 

But The Eagles provided the template. Reunion tour but new songs and more songs later and that gets rolled into a new Very Best Of. 

If the reunion happened in 2008, we would have the best of both worlds. CD stuff maybe retaining Finck and Slash and Duff paving the way for a hybrid operation. Also what 2006 should’ve been.

Even more context and comparison 

The issue of Classic Rock Magazine that announced the GNR Reunion (NITL) , 

the same issue the 2nd biggest story was 

Glen Fry's Death. 

Perfect synchronicity 

Hell Freezes Over Ends, 

Not In This Lifetime begins! 🤯👀:FatAxl:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slugworth said:

Other than some of those Stones compilations, greatest Best of I've ever had is Soundgarden's Telephantasm. Yeah it could use a couple more DOTU deep cuts but it's a great smorgasbord for casual fans. Get a little of everything...hits, deep cuts, demos, alt version, live, unreleased, and a new song.

I still don't understand how that song cracked the top 20. It wasn't a single, wasn't in a movie/soundtrack...weird.

I do know the CD tracks performed during the reunion got a streaming boost but that stat is ridiculous.

A few reasons...

The big 3 AFD songs are played in stadiums across the planet and have been for decades. That Jungle intro a sports anthem played almost constantly... especially in the 2000s. Fuck...the NFL used to cut to a break with the Locomotive intro playing.

Slash and Duff are walking GNR commercials and VR gave the brand an even bigger boost.

Other than the brief moment of 2001-2, new GNR were turned into a nostalgia act. No one was going to hear CD...they were going for the main hits.

Its like GNR ballad song = casual GNR fan likeness.

But it was never released as a GNR single so i dont know if it was casual fans or nuguns fans that made it popular for it to be covered in the setlist.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Slugworth said:

A few reasons...

That might be the case for most bands, theres a brief time they have hits and then release albums just to keep things going. If the bands become institutions those albums might start to matter more. The Stones are really the pioneers of endless career. Dying is also a good career move. 

GNR owned the 90s with 3-5 studio albums out. The slump and mid era was predictable . The Stones mid era would be like if GNR used Snakepit and Ju ju hounds and Axl songs to put out albums of moderate success just jeep going. 

But they chose to go out on top. And Axl to play the heel and make the album about the fall of GNR. In a way the leaks and eventually release of CD cover that mid era that bands have.

The next is are they big enough to do an Aerosmith or Van Halen and have a Reunion era. GNR's mid era of solo projects, VR and CD just set up the reunion. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, General Dexter said:

TIL seems to be a somewhat respected song in the smaller diehard circles. The song could have been executed better for the album, but I have heard worse GNR songs

To me it seems more the casuals who think it's like Nov Rain. Chicks to like to think Axl might dm them on facebook. Ballads are just chicks right? This I Love seems very pole friendly. 

TIL also sonekind of deep cut, dangerous underground status because it was never a single. So flogging through endless nu metal songs on CD, casuals get to TIL and think this reminds me of getting finger blasted under a bridge in the 80s. This is the Axl Rose I remember from high school. Axl has grown up now, I'm divorced and on Facebook, he misses me. 

The instrumental for TIL has lots of cool stuff in it. The lyrics and vocals are certainly a low-point. If you listen to the STEMS from Rockband or some of the fan made instrumentals, the vocals also block out some of the more interesting instrumentals that come in during the build and the peak of the song. 

The problem with the song is that the actual original piece is kind of boring. If you listen to something like the Sound City November Rain, it's already a good song before the orchestra and Matt Sorum elevated it. With TIL, all the best stuff is the orchestration and how that all builds. 

A lot of the CD songs are very dense with interesting parts that you can't even hear. There is this really cool sounding synth line you can hear in the earlier demos of The Blues and while you can probably pick it out of the final mix if you know it's there, listen on decent headphones, and make it your life's work to find it - it is basically not there. 

With that said, TIL is objectively the most popular song from CD. Not that they would have released an album in 2016, but it's almost a shame that Axl released it on Chinese Democracy because it was a song that could have been a rock hit in 2016 with Slash. Ironically, given Slash's alleged stance about ballads. It was always the songs for the chicks that drew with GNR.

• Like 2

Guest The Monkey
4 minutes ago, DaddyDont said:

I wonder what the What Dreams May Come version of "This I Love" sounded like before Axl threw a hissyfit and had the engineer delete it

That was at least the 2nd or 3rd version. He started it what 1992 and What Dreams May Come was 1998 and the Dominguez one was 2000?