The Eternal General - 04/24 - Unpinned but alive; Atlas/Monsters nowhere in sight; Slash 'Orgy of the Damned' next month

33 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

Since 2019 I've stated State of grace is the general.

The majority of the community has said I'm wrong , yet be it on the fatcast , discord or this very site i have not wavered. 

Can't wait to find out.

spacer.png

From the little we've heard of The General, they sound completely different.

Maybe SOG ended up like Eye On You, where little parts of the song were re-used, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

Since 2019 I've stated State of grace is the general.

The majority of the community has said I'm wrong , yet be it on the fatcast , discord or this very site i have not wavered. 

Can't wait to find out.

spacer.png

I been discussing the same thing with some people. What if SOG is the General? guess we have to wait and see until it comes out next month/October 

• Like 2

While I do like State of Grace, it's going to be a huge bummer if it's The General.

Hard School/Eye On You

That clip at the rehearsal on the last tour leg that's assumed to be The General sounds very similar to the Oklahoma outro.

They may have cannibalized a bunch of songs to finish other songs.

• Like 1

Being a B-side isn't a bad thing. If they released it on its own, they'd be expected to play it live, and Axl probably can't do it. This way they still release a song that hopefully matches the quality of TWAT or Prostitute, but Axl won't have to shred whatever is left of his voice by screaming through it every night.

• Like 2

Guest sixes schmixes
7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Being a B-side isn't a bad thing. If they released it on its own, they'd be expected to play it live, and Axl probably can't do it. This way they still release a song that hopefully matches the quality of TWAT or Prostitute, but Axl won't have to shred whatever is left of his voice by screaming through it every night.

He can't do the A sides either

5 minutes ago, Faithless Old Villain said:

He can't do the A sides either

True. But it might have some vocals like the bridge part of Better, where he can't even physically attempt to wheeze his way through it anymore. I kinda hope The General is never tainted by a NITL live performance... even though it would probably be hilarious.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Soul Monster was their Black Sabbath song. I think Baz said The General had the highest screams he'd heard Axl do, or something like that.

Was it Axl who compared Soul Monster to Sabbath? It is fucking crazy how long it has taken. Instrumentally Soul Monster is New GnR’s best song. Sucks that we probably won’t hear it for at least another 5 years. 

2 minutes ago, MAGATRON said:

Was it Axl who compared Soul Monster to Sabbath? It is fucking crazy how long it has taken. Instrumentally Soul Monster is New GnR’s best song. Sucks that we probably won’t hear it for at least another 5 years. 

Yea he said "it's our most Black Sabbath moment" or something close to that. Some mygnr autist figured out that the vocals were recorded in 2004. Axl said it was recorded on a christmas eve and they only had a studio booked then in 2004, so the song has been finished and collecting dust for almost 20 years. I hope Slash and Duff are kept away from it, and we hear a 2005-06 mix eventually in a box set... same with Zodiac, Tonto, SOG, etc.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

I like Brasky but can’t see Axl gluing those idea’s together 

I can imagine Caram doing the worst protools cut and paste job like Absurd to put these songs together.

The production and mixing on some of these CD songs so far has been poor.

Getting this lineup to play it live will be :pepelol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Being a B-side isn't a bad thing.

Oh I know. Some bands have killer B sides that hold up against the rest of their discography.

In the case of Soundgarden, before settling on the 2 disc set Telephantasm,  Kim Thayil said they were considering a B sides compilation.

The song has been rehearsed and is on the set list so they must be considering the possibility of performing it.

If it's like you said and he's unable to pull it off, I'd prefer they not even attempt it.

There's also the remote possibility that it's a double A side and could get similar promo as Perhaps.

8 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I can imagine Caram doing the worst protools cut and paste job like Absurd to put these songs together.

I'm praying to the musical gods that The General is an anomaly and sounds as if it were produced/mixed by genuine professionals who know what they are doing.

It would really suck to finally get this mythical song, it's actually a good song, but it sounds like shit.

Perhaps was an improvement over Absurd/Hard School but we need this one to be light years above those three.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Oh I know. Some bands have killer B sides that hold up against the rest of their discography.

In the case of Soundgarden, before settling on the 2 disc set Telephantasm,  Kim Thayil said they were considering a B sides compilation.

The song has been rehearsed and is on the set list so they must be considering the possibility of performing it.

If it's like you said and he's unable to pull it off, I'd prefer they not even attempt it.

There's also the remote possibility that it's a double A side and could get similar promo as Perhaps.

I'm surprised its on the setlist at all.

Probably only 5% of current concert attendees would know of the songs existence. So would not be a loss if its not played. They could always add another illusion/AFD/muff cover punk as fuck song in its place, and no-one would be the wiser.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

I'm praying to the musical gods that The General is an anomaly and sounds as if it were produced/mixed by genuine professionals who know what they are doing.

It would really suck to finally get this mythical song, it's actually a good song, but it sounds like shit.

Perhaps was an improvement over Absurd/Hard School but we need this one to be light years above those three.

I always thought The General would be Axls so called masterpiece. So we will see once the song is released, like you i hope its given the production and mixing time a good song deserves.

• Pray 1