The Eternal General - 04/24 - Unpinned but alive; Atlas/Monsters nowhere in sight; Slash 'Orgy of the Damned' next month

39 minutes ago, Facekicker said:

A song about raping your own family member? They'll probably make it the national anthem. 

Not wanting to discredit your theory, but Axl was allegedly beaten for every little misdeed by his stepdad and that’s what the song might be about. His siblings went through the same shit as well. 

3 hours ago, General Rosenhower said:

I just don’t get it. The band have a album worth of reworked songs Why don’t they just release this one to keep the fans pleased until their next fully original album? oh wait yeah Fat lazy Axl and Team Brashit

Maybe the reworked songs aren't finished. They are doing them one at a time. 

7 hours ago, General Fattington said:

Not wanting to discredit your theory, but Axl was allegedly beaten for every little misdeed by his stepdad and that’s what the song might be about. His siblings went through the same shit as well. 

Just like TIL and One in a Million, you can question whether going there is wise. But that's why I respect Axl artistically, he normally pulls it off. Abuse is a tricky subject and the song definitely has a good message to anyone who wants to get past it. And it's not Heal the World corny. It's not pretty but it is convincing. 

3 hours ago, wasted said:

Maybe the reworked songs aren't finished. They are doing them one at a time. 

Slash said a couple years back all the Chin Dem material was done already

They recorded most of it during the pandemic , 

except maybe Hard Skool & Absurd , 

those were originally supposed to be released in 2020 , 

so those two might have been 2019

9 minutes ago, Donny_TPB said:

I thought he said they were done during the pandemic but only a few. 2 were already released. And he said there were 2-3 more to come. Then he said he didn't know how many there were. Just to be safe. He never said the whole album was done. I would have been making CD II merch in my basement if so. At some point he said they were going to do them 1-2 at a time and then eventually there would be a physical release. But the next quote was this 3-4 songs, then once those were out they would start recording brand new songs for the next GNR album. This, that and the other, all things considered, two epic songs, new Guns material, stuck with us through all the fucking shit. Translation: Get in the Ring live next tour. Nice to finally clear that up and get the facts straight. 

3 hours ago, wasted said:

Just like TIL and One in a Million, you can question whether going there is wise. But that's why I respect Axl artistically, he normally pulls it off. Abuse is a tricky subject and the song definitely has a good message to anyone who wants to get past it. And it's not Heal the World corny. It's not pretty but it is convincing. 

Unless Axl wants to make sure he never gets into the sights of the Metoo brigade and gives them a different scent,  why would an artist , especially GNR , stylistically release a song like this?.

If they want to release one of the CD leftovers Monsters is the one to release.

Theres nothing commercial releasing a song like The General. Hell they could have released Monsters as the big gun and The General as a bside if Axl really wanted to release it.

24 minutes ago, Donny_TPB said:

Wasnt the plan to release CD2 late 2019 as a surprise before WuFlu hit?.

I Remember Team Posse fernando doing a Q & A reddit chat during this time but the album didnt happen because "plans changed".

• Like 1

I don't think it's a coincidence that we start getting this stuff after we already heard most of it via the Village leaks. Three of the four songs released so far were in the Village Leaks. If that stuff didn't leak, perhaps we don't have any new music at all. It took them 5 years before they released anything new after the reunion. They iron was less hot every year from the start of the reunion that they waited to release music, but they still waited. Then, when they start touring again after the Village leaks, we start getting new music.

Just like back in the day how songs ended up on the setlist after leaking. In 2006 when Axl returned, any new songs played were ones that already leaked. It's not like he randomly busted out Sorry, or Scraped. He played TWAT, IRS, Better, etc. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Unless Axl wants to make sure he never gets into the sights of the Metoo brigade and gives them a different scent,  why would an artist , especially GNR , stylistically release a song like this?.

If they want to release one of the CD leftovers Monsters is the one to release.

Theres nothing commercial releasing a song like The General. Hell they could have released Monsters as the big gun and The General as a bside if Axl really wanted to release it.

The General was the b side and on the vinyl 7" which is a inaccessible format. There is no huge commercial upside, but it's a song Axl has personal lyrics on. It reminds me of the 90s when child abuse was a common lyric topic.  Pearl jam, Nirvana, Korn, even Aerosmith. So maybe it's not that much of a surprise. 

It reminds me of TIL in that the expectation is for a UYI epic but it's a much more modern day arrangement. Also maybe only Slash can

put those bad boys together. 

Axl is very real with his lyrics and that takes it to weird places. Combine that with the different musical styles it's never going to be what you heard before.

Even on UYI none of the songs are really straight AFD. Maybe BOB and YCBM are the closest. 

The General is the most darkest heavy alt rock song they done in CD era. I feel like if Slash was there he might extend it with solos and it be like a Coma type song.

But the arrangement is much like something from Nirvana or Korn to me. It's heavy but not really epic in terms of length. Why TWAT isn't 10 minutes I don't know. 

11 minutes ago, gunsntortillas said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that we start getting this stuff after we already heard most of it via the Village leaks. Three of the four songs released so far were in the Village Leaks. If that stuff didn't leak, perhaps we don't have any new music at all. It took them 5 years before they released anything new after the reunion. They iron was less hot every year from the start of the reunion that they waited to release music, but they still waited. Then, when they start touring again after the Village leaks, we start getting new music.

Just like back in the day how songs ended up on the setlist after leaking. In 2006 when Axl returned, any new songs played were ones that already leaked. It's not like he randomly busted out Sorry, or Scraped. He played TWAT, IRS, Better, etc. 

I've always felt that they were leaked accidentally on purpose. Obviously the band can't leak them legally because then rec comp can sue them. There's a whoopsie element to all the leaks. 

Maybe the stuff they are working on gets leaked because those are the dongs bouncing around. But the timing is always too much of a coincidence. 

Maybe some rec comp needs the confidence of fans response to the tracks. But then who really backed Absurd to be the first single? 

HS and Perhaps did get most positive feedback online though. 

Right from early on though Slash and Duff said they heard Axl's material and liked it. They got praise for working on CD era songs for the tours. 

So maybe it's people closer to band know what's going on and then leak the stuff. In a controlled way. 

Or they leak the stuff to stop the future leaks ruining the official releases. 

Why did General and Monsters not leak until a few weeks before official release? 

Is it hoarders panicking that their treasure is loosing value? 

So they traded Monsters for Eye on You.  And are now at the store buying rope. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

I've always felt that they were leaked accidentally on purpose. Obviously the band can't leak them legally because then rec comp can sue them. There's a whoopsie element to all the leaks. 

Maybe the stuff they are working on gets leaked because those are the dongs bouncing around. But the timing is always too much of a coincidence. 

Maybe some rec comp needs the confidence of fans response to the tracks. But then who really backed Absurd to be the first single? 

HS and Perhaps did get most positive feedback online though. 

Right from early on though Slash and Duff said they heard Axl's material and liked it. They got praise for working on CD era songs for the tours. 

So maybe it's people closer to band know what's going on and then leak the stuff. In a controlled way. 

Or they leak the stuff to stop the future leaks ruining the official releases. 

Why did General and Monsters not leak until a few weeks before official release? 

Is it hoarders panicking that their treasure is loosing value? 

So they traded Monsters for Eye on You.  And are now at the store buying rope. 

Bands sometimes leak stuff on purpose, but I don't think that is the case with GNR. I think The General and Monsters leaked from whatever run of vinyl they did that were substandard and resulted in a delay. That is why we got it when we did. Someone got their hands on one of the 7 inches and chose to rip it and leak it.

The audio file is 48,000 khz, which is peculiar, and there is some weird distortion with the audio like it was ripped poorly or with cheap equipment and the levels were boosted or something. Typical CD or standard MP3 streaming audio is going to be 44,100. 

If it was leaked by the band, I assume they'd at least leak a decent sounding MP3. 

Axl was responsible for some of the leaks in 06 or whenever, because he'd allegedly go out and make them put on his own music while partying with people or at strip clubs. Which is hilarious, Kanye-like behaviour. This led to some songs getting ripped off Axl's CD. I don't think they ever intentionally leaked anything.

9 minutes ago, gunsntortillas said:

Bands sometimes leak stuff on purpose, but I don't think that is the case with GNR. I think The General and Monsters leaked from whatever run of vinyl they did that were substandard and resulted in a delay. That is why we got it when we did. Someone got their hands on one of the 7 inches and chose to rip it and leak it.

The audio file is 48,000 khz, which is peculiar, and there is some weird distortion with the audio like it was ripped poorly or with cheap equipment and the levels were boosted or something. Typical CD or standard MP3 streaming audio is going to be 44,100. 

If it was leaked by the band, I assume they'd at least leak a decent sounding MP3. 

Axl was responsible for some of the leaks in 06 or whenever, because he'd allegedly go out and make them put on his own music while partying with people or at strip clubs. Which is hilarious, Kanye-like behaviour. This led to some songs getting ripped off Axl's CD. I don't think they ever intentionally leaked anything.

That would suggest Monsters is on the 7"? 
Or the Atlas single was pressed at same time. 

I don't think they sat down as a band and decided to leak anything. 

But the Better/Strip club leak was just in time for tour. Which makes sense organically, people moving around. 

But Village seems like a huge dump. Zutaut letting the lease on his garage expire that has almost the entire CD era output in it. It has all the hall marks of Russian disinformation. 

But it feels just as much an

old employee being frustrated the material came to nothing as a covert marketing plan. 

1 hour ago, gunsntortillas said:

GnR have Always 

Leaked their Demo's 

Back in '87 it was Vinyl in Select Record Stores (Second City Records - NYC & Boston was two of em)

Anyways these stores had huge sections for Legacy acts 

Beatles, Stones, Prince , Dylan, etc.

In one year GNR had a bootleg section that rivaled these 30 year careers. No other New-er band even came close.

Alot of it was Live stuff.

But the AFD Demo's, & CBGB's 87 LIES performance was on many different vinyl releases along with 85/86 Hollywood Demos, November Rain acoustic & piano Demo's.

UYI was much of the same, 

but now it was CD bootlegs dominating the market.

the most famous boots being UYI 3 & 4,

along with Lies demos including 

Cornshucker.

With Modern times only distribution networks have changed to File Sharing.

Don't ever let them fool ya, 

GnR are involved with everything that leaks. 

2006 & 2019 songs showing up Live and/ or released.... Along with the 1987 stuff, and 1991. No way this all coincidence....

Coincidence is a fake word just like Luck anyways, 

just made up words to explain things away instead of telling the Truth (GNR LIES, and LIES, and LIEs....always have. But at same time the bootleg market was targeted from Day 1, even Canters Live Videos were marketed.

Everyplace was selling VHS of The Roxy 1986 from the moment AFD hit the shelves. 

Always been this Way 

I don't know the story w/ Monsters , only time will tell.

But I do know they would not have played The General Live if it wasn't distributed in some fashion before hand  

No Coincidences 

Just a band that has Always done bizness this way

52 minutes ago, wasted said:

That would suggest Monsters is on the 7"? 
Or the Atlas single was pressed at same time. 

I don't think they sat down as a band and decided to leak anything. 

But the Better/Strip club leak was just in time for tour. Which makes sense organically, people moving around. 

But Village seems like a huge dump. Zutaut letting the lease on his garage expire that has almost the entire CD era output in it. It has all the hall marks of Russian disinformation. 

But it feels just as much an

old employee being frustrated the material came to nothing as a covert marketing plan. 

If I recall Slash or Duff posted on one of their social media about the vinyl delay being caused by the pressings being botched. Issues with the pressing point to the possibility of the band trying to fit a longer song on one side. A 7 inch single is typically supposed to stay at 5 or so minutes, once you go longer it increases the chance for pressing issues.

The song was also registered as The General and Monsters, which points to it being one piece for the purpose of royalties. 

If we assume the song came from a record that leaked out from the botched first pressing, that doesn't mean that the final release will have both songs. It is possible they might decide to only include The General.

As far as the Village leaks, I doubt the band was involved. If the story we heard about it being Zutaut's locker are true, you have to understand that people with valuable and important items fail to pay for lockers all the time. That's why auctioning lockers is even viable. 

47 minutes ago, Donny_TPB said:

GnR have Always 

Leaked their Demo's 

Back in '87 it was Vinyl in Select Record Stores (Second City Records - NYC & Boston was two of em)

Anyways these stores had huge sections for Legacy acts 

Beatles, Stones, Prince , Dylan, etc.

In one year GNR had a bootleg section that rivaled these 30 year careers. No other New-er band even came close.

Alot of it was Live stuff.

But the AFD Demo's, & CBGB's 87 LIES performance was on many different vinyl releases along with 85/86 Hollywood Demos, November Rain acoustic & piano Demo's.

UYI was much of the same, 

but now it was CD bootlegs dominating the market.

the most famous boots being UYI 3 & 4,

along with Lies demos including 

Cornshucker.

With Modern times only distribution networks have changed to File Sharing.

Don't ever let them fool ya, 

GnR are involved with everything that leaks. 

2006 & 2019 songs showing up Live and/ or released.... Along with the 1987 stuff, and 1991. No way this all coincidence....

Coincidence is a fake word just like Luck anyways, 

just made up words to explain things away instead of telling the Truth (GNR LIES, and LIES, and LIEs....always have. But at same time the bootleg market was targeted from Day 1, even Canters Live Videos were marketed.

Everyplace was selling VHS of The Roxy 1986 from the moment AFD hit the shelves. 

Always been this Way 

I don't know the story w/ Monsters , only time will tell.

But I do know they would not have played The General Live if it wasn't distributed in some fashion before hand  

No Coincidences 

Just a band that has Always done bizness this way

The concert they played The General live at was after the intended release date. The intended release date was not met due to issues with the pressings. So Axl and co. would have presumably been prepared to debut the song live because they already though the 7 inch was supposed to be out.

There would be no benefit to leaking the track rather than just releasing it digitally. If they wanted to put it out there as a make-good to the fans for missing the release date, they would have benefited more from a marketing POV to do that officially. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gunsntortillas said:

If I recall Slash or Duff posted on one of their social media about the vinyl delay being caused by the pressings being botched. Issues with the pressing point to the possibility of the band trying to fit a longer song on one side. A 7 inch single is typically supposed to stay at 5 or so minutes, once you go longer it increases the chance for pressing issues.

The song was also registered as The General and Monsters, which points to it being one piece for the purpose of royalties. 

If we assume the song came from a record that leaked out from the botched first pressing, that doesn't mean that the final release will have both songs. It is possible they might decide to only include The General.

As far as the Village leaks, I doubt the band was involved. If the story we heard about it being Zutaut's locker are true, you have to understand that people with valuable and important items fail to pay for lockers all the time. That's why auctioning lockers is even viable. 

The Zutaut connection to the band is hard to overlook. Less in cahoots with band, but somewhat knowing what he was doing. 

The lyrics seeming to be connected, as a past and a response. I did look up the time on 7" and was disappointed to find it was only 4-6 minutes.

But the idea that they tried and failed makes sense. The General leak has something muffled on the chorus. 

The Atlas single coming with Monsters might be the solution. 

Another idea would be to put out The General and Monsters as one 9 minute track on Apple Music/Spotify digitally. 

But Monsters seems like it has single potential on it's own. Those days are gone though maybe. They are just grinding their way through, not trying to risk anything to make it.

They want people to hear HS and Perhaps and I think oh yeah Guns N Roses, I'll buy another Best of cd. Monsters suggests something has changed from 90s GNR. 

On 11/13/2023 at 5:17 AM, Facekicker said:

One of my favourite things to laugh at on the forums is the fans attempts to frame Axl's work with some sort of wide ranging, almost pseudo-mystical profundity. 

What really sold it back in the day was those song titles...

Chinese Democracy

Atlas Shrugged

Catcher In The Rye

Surely such song titles would be attached to Pink Floyd level epics!

spacer.png

On 11/9/2023 at 3:47 PM, gunsntortillas said:

The CD sessions have almost lasted 30 years. Think about how insane that is. They started in 1997 or 1998, and we're in 2024 with Axl still tinkering with the same batch of songs.

A case can be made that the saga's roots are that summer with the firing of Gilby, Huge entering the fold, the SFTD fiasco, and the rejection of the Snakepit demos which causes Slash to go solo while Axl starts twiddling his thumbs doing absolutely nothing until he thinks up a cool title for a record.

On 11/9/2023 at 4:06 PM, wasted said:

I think he's happy to get these songs released.

He's so happy about these songs getting released, he's talked about it a grand total of zero times. :Classic_Troll:

On 11/9/2023 at 4:47 PM, wasted said:

Zutaut and Goldstein

laughed at Snakepit.

That laughter led to Axl spinning his wheels for 20 years.

The joke was on them.

On 11/9/2023 at 6:47 PM, wasted said:

UMG happy to release Best of or Boxes of old material.

So happy about it they never promote any of it.

I'd hate to see em mad or sad about these releases. :retro-bang:

On 11/9/2023 at 10:22 PM, gunsntortillas said:

It isn't entirely uncommon for recordings to be redone or abandoned. Foo Fighters have their infamous 'million dollar demos', and I'm sure that's not the only story of expensive recordings sessions being ditched as a sunk cost.

U2 has like 3 scrapped albums over the years.

On 11/9/2023 at 12:43 PM, gunsntortillas said:

The trilogy was dead by 2009. It only ever existed as a conceptual idea in Axl's mind, and I think by a certain point he may have realized it wasn't going to exist as a trilogy.

I say this because Axl referred to it as a double album in the forum chats (double being CD + the eventual CD II that never came out). Up until that point, there are some quotes or anecdotes about him seeing CD as a trilogy. 

This has been discussed/speculated about in this thread. But it seems like they might have had enough songs with vocals left for a second album after CD, but nothing else after that aside from instrumentals, sketches, and jams. 

The trilogy never existed anywhere other than in Axl's mind.

We can be honest now...

There weren't even enough quality songs for a second album. You can tell by listening to these songs (Perhaps, The General, Monsters, Absurd, Hard School) very little thought was put into them.

Fuck...he added the bare minimum of lyrics/vocals needed to turn them into actual songs, and he even did this with the so called big guns!

This is why a song like Oh My God has to stay in contention for 20 years. That's how little there was to work with.

Yeah he was still talking about double-triples late 2000s but you only need to listen to these "finished" tracks to see that he essentially threw his hands up in the air and gave up at some point, probably not long after finishing the first album.

Does he go back to the drawing board when the label shit cans the idea of a release? Nope. He just keeps tinkering with and renaming the same set of songs over and over and over until someone on Azoffs level comes in and puts the project out of its misery.

Hell, The Blues had three different song titles...

The Blues

Stardust

Street of Dreams

The Chinese emperor has no clothes.

• Like 1