we need to talk about the "all digital" future

you can forget of owning anything. music, movies, books, all over the place companies are putting everything on an all digital future.

you will only be able to buy licenses, not ownership. These licenses can be revoked without refund. it can be revoked for various reasons: licenses expiring, or something deemed not woke enough, and bam you'll never see it again.

Lunacy, you'll say. there's dvd's, theres youtube.

Yes, and how long will you be able to buy dvd players? I went to my local electronics store, and where there should have been dvd players there were empty shelves. if companies don't make dvd players anymore, because dvds arent sold anymore, then theres nothing you can do about it. You can't make a dvd player yourself out of carboard can you?

So what are the things that are on the brink of obsoletion:

your dvd collection

your movie colletion

your video game colletion

What do we have left? Books. I wonder, how they will take that away from us. Well, somehow they managed to lock my printer behind an online account, so there's definately possibilities there. they're working on it.

you will have to pay for everything on a montly, subscription based model.

I'm a nostalgic person, and this is stressing me out to no end.

I'm seriously doubting there will be a way to watch clint eastwood movies  years from now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boobytrap said:

what are your strategies to prepare for digital doomsdag?

how to beat the system?

simple

don't care what anyone think

What you've described is basically true for GAMES so far. Movies?  YOu can still buy them in a physical format, but who needs tons of shelfs clogging up valuable space?

The recipe?

illegally download everything

if something cannot be obtained illegally, i MIGHT consider paying

Books are obsolate for nearly two decades now anyway

But what you have so far is yours. take it that way. If you want to buy a book or a new comic, just go STRAIGHT to the writer. I've got that tip from a friend of mine who writes for a living (sort of, but you know...) Go to the writer, write an e-mail that you want to buy his book etc. and there is a good chance the author will provide you his book or whatever for a cheaper price than a fucking publisher/retailer does....

and don't get a stupid printer bring you down... buy an older model which not require an account

• Like 2

I'm done with my masters at the end of September, I have take some web cam therapy group shit (Because of COVID it has to be online) through the VA for PTSD through Halloween timeish...

After that shit, I'm pulling the plug on the net. 

20 minutes ago, my name is bacdi said:

Funny this thread was made today. One of the three major phone carriers in Canada is currently having a nationwide outage that is causing debit machines and ATMs across the nation to be useless. Absolute havoc at the airports, grocery stores, etc as everyone realizes it's cash only day.

I pity every single employee at said establishments.

• Pray 2

48 minutes ago, TM7000 said:

I'm done with my masters at the end of September, I have take some web cam therapy group shit (Because of COVID it has to be online) through the VA for PTSD through Halloween timeish...

After that shit, I'm pulling the plug on the net. 

youre not gonna leave us, right? 

I mean i get that you need some time IRL, away from the shitternet ,good plan but not forever, right? 

1 minute ago, Bad Apple said:

youre not gonna leave us, right? 

I mean i get that you need some time IRL, away from the shitternet ,good plan but not forever, right? 

I don't think so, but I NEED a break from the faggy internet. 

8 hours ago, Bad Apple said:

simple

don't care what anyone think

What you've described is basically true for GAMES so far. Movies?  YOu can still buy them in a physical format, but who needs tons of shelfs clogging up valuable space?

The recipe?

illegally download everything

if something cannot be obtained illegally, i MIGHT consider paying

Books are obsolate for nearly two decades now anyway

But what you have so far is yours. take it that way. If you want to buy a book or a new comic, just go STRAIGHT to the writer. I've got that tip from a friend of mine who writes for a living (sort of, but you know...) Go to the writer, write an e-mail that you want to buy his book etc. and there is a good chance the author will provide you his book or whatever for a cheaper price than a fucking publisher/retailer does....

and don't get a stupid printer bring you down... buy an older model which not require an account

IMG_20220708_143716_01.gif.dcf3337e973bffba8a53f6286fb12b26.gif